Let's See Your Folding Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
336A2706-5FF1-4252-9454-B73CD8ECCAFA.jpeg

Then I added an electric folder...a. Magnum Premium 48. A very fine bike....and my least favorite.

I recently added this to my collection. Its fun, quirky, uncommon (around here anyway) and finely crafted. I love it.
I especially enjoy the gearing arrangment (6 speed) and I don’t consider it “fiddly”....it’s purpose-built.

A8551879-56B1-44EC-91D1-1D70D980AA8E.jpeg

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

I recently added this to my collection. Its fun, quirky, uncommon (around here anyway) and finely crafted. I love it.
I especially enjoy the gearing arrangment (6 speed) and I don’t consider it “fiddly”....it’s purpose-built.

View attachment 429924

You will enjoy many years and miles on your Brommie. Had mine since 2012, and it still looks and rides like the day I bought it. What is the configuration on your handle bars? In order to get my iPhone up closer to see, I had to attach a few gadgets to do so.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

I used a conglomeration of miscellaneous GoPro mounts, by hook and by crook directly clamped to the seat frame. If you look closely you can see 3 different pieces of mount cobbled together.
I used that pov in this video I made of the day:

Loved the video. Very well done. I liked that guys big yellow bike, but some of them were awesome. Budding engineers. Where did that event take place? Everyone was definitely having a great time.

Loved the video. Very well done. I liked that guys big yellow bike, but some of them were awesome. Budding engineers. Where did that event take place? Everyone was definitely having a great time.
Thats an event which happens quarterly or thereabouts, somewhere in greater Los Angeles. The next one is 9-30-18 and the streets will be closed from the Disney Concert Hall, to the Hollywood Bowl. Thats about 8 miles each way.

We’ll attend again...it was a great deal of fun, and a real celebration of bicycling, skateboarding, and other human powered modes of transport. The organization that organizes these events is:
www.ciclavia.org

You will enjoy many years and miles on your Brommie. Had mine since 2012, and it still looks and rides like the day I bought it. What is the configuration on your handle bars? In order to get my iPhone up closer to see, I had to attach a few gadgets to do so.
Those are standard “S” bars, with strapped-on a rear-view, and a Serfas E-lume 250 headlight. I’ve since added Ergon GP-1 grips, with a Hafny HF-MR083 mirror attached (the best bicycle mirror I’ve had).

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

Thats an event which happens quarterly or thereabouts, somewhere in greater Los Angeles. The next one is 9-30-18 and the streets will be closed from the Disney Concert Hall, to the Hollywood Bowl. Thats about 8 miles each way.

We’ll attend again...it was a great deal of fun, and a real celebration of bicycling, skateboarding, and other human powered modes of transport. The organization that organizes these events is:
www.ciclavia.org

Thanks for the link. I just signed up for updates.

You will enjoy many years and miles on your Brommie. Had mine since 2012, and it still looks and rides like the day I bought it.
I hope so, and I plan on riding it as long as I can. I had a total hip replacement a few years back which ended a lengthy motorcycle/scooter riding career, and my vintage beach cruisers (I’ve restored many old Schwinns, and Arnold Schwinns) required too high a leg lift for me after that....leading me to folders.

The Brompton is the most “serious” bicycle I’ve ever owned and it checks all the right boxes for me now and users like you who can speak positively after several years of ownership of one, is good feedback. You have a great folding bike shop in your state BTW...Tempe if memory serves. I’m sure you know more about that than I do. Good shops, run by passionate bicyclists who cheerfully carry a very niche product like Brompton are a rare find.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

I hope so, and I plan on riding it as long as I can. I had a total hip replacement a few years back which ended a lengthy motorcycle/scooter riding career, and my vintage beach cruisers (I’ve restored many old Schwinns, and Arnold Schwinns) required too high a leg lift for me after that....leading me to folders.

The Brompton is the most “serious” bicycle I’ve ever owned and it checks all the right boxes for me now and users like you who can speak positively after several years of ownership of one, is good feedback. You have a great folding bike shop in your state BTW...Tempe if memory serves. I’m sure you know more about that than I do. Good shops, run by passionate bicyclists who cheerfully carry a very niche product like Brompton are a rare find.

I'm sorry about you having to have a hip replacement. Although your riding style has changed, the fact that you are still riding is awesome. Keep it up, and I think you have purchased the appropriate bike to keep you spinning those pedals.

To be honest, I can't say enough good things about the Brompton. It folds superbly and with such ease. For me, it also is the most serious bike I have ever owned. Incredibly engineered and manufactured. That's a testament to the many years I have been riding it. Not a single flaw.

If I need a few grocery items that I'm short on, the Brommie is my mode of transport, and is also my grocery cart while shopping. I get a lot of smiles and double takes while pushing it up and down the aisles. On my last shopping adventure, I startled the grocery clerk. Before attaching the bag to the front bracket of the bike, I flipped the bike open, and stunned the clerk. She was totally amazed, and after some chit chat, she, I think, is going to get one herself.

That great folding bike shop in Tempe is where I purchased it. The shop is called Portapedal Bike ( portapedalbike.com ), and is owned and run by the nicest couple. It was back in July of 2012 that I purchased the Brommie, and to be honest, it was my wife that urged me to get it. You see, I went to Portapedal Bike to look at a Tern folder, can't recall the model. It was one of the cheaper Tern models, but it was my wife that convinced me to go the extra mile, money wise, and go for the Brompton because, as she said, "you get what you pay for." She was right, as I'm sure that if I had gone with the Tern, it might have lasted me these years, but it most likely would have had some maintenance done to it along the way. Yes, I can never look back in regret. It has to be one of the best purchases I have ever made. One thing that might sound weird, I have never ridden it in the rain, and never once through a puddle. I wait for the roads to dry if there was rain, and If there is water on the road, I turn around and go another route. As far as cleaning it is concerned, all I do is just dust it off. HAHAHAHA!!

Enjoy your Brommie!!! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom