Let's talk fishing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hicky

Guru
Lad number two at the start of April and last Friday.
Now the weather is warming up sweetcorn isn’t as productive, having had nearly a 30 yr break from fishing, is all the new fandangled baits worth it ie pellets etc?

Attachments

• 8E4C329D-F6C6-48BE-AC93-330632CD3A86.jpeg
    8E4C329D-F6C6-48BE-AC93-330632CD3A86.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 8
  • D0081E04-BC21-4806-BAE2-D1DEF5D3FB5E.jpeg
    D0081E04-BC21-4806-BAE2-D1DEF5D3FB5E.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 933FFB45-A642-40D5-8830-8CA083F28EF7.jpeg
    933FFB45-A642-40D5-8830-8CA083F28EF7.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 8

carpiste

Guru
Now the weather is warming up sweetcorn isn’t as productive, having had nearly a 30 yr break from fishing, is all the new fandangled baits worth it ie pellets etc?
Micro pellets are a great way of holding fish and I use them along with a light groundbait. You can use maggot, bread or larger pellets on the hook or even mini boilies if you want to try for Tench or small Carp.
Sweetcorn or Luncheon meat will also work on the hook but I tend to use sweetcorn sparingly.

mustang1

Guru
Get it bought - it's a bargain from the Aisle of Joy :laugh:
It didn't have Shimano 105 reel thingie on it.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Former carp angler looking into getting myself back into the fishing game... except this time ive decided to come back as guy that spins for pike.

My carp gear is some 20 years old and my dad has use of most of it so its not really suitable for my needs. Ive tallied it up how much its going to cost to re-gear myself and its roughly around £300 for some semi-decent gear.

I know some folks have big pit REELS that cost more than my entire setup but im just out there to have a bit of fun.

I live about 15mins walk from the river lea so the idea is to travel light and just roam up and down the river for pike. Dad is a member of a few local fishing clubs that have pike in their ponds so i'll most likely hitch a ride down and toss some lures into the abyss and see what i can get when he goes and does his carp business.

Gone with the multiplier and braid option and this is the first time with a multiplier reel so i have a lot to learn.

Looking forward to it! I think my PB was an 18lb pike from Enfield Lock as a young boy. I used to go there with a family friend and he did love that stretch of river so much that we never tried fishing for pike anywhere else :laugh::laugh: (although, we were dead-baiting and trotting for pike rather than spinning)

Its going to be a brave new world.

delb0y

Legendary Member
Be interested in how you get on with a multiplier. I've seen some videos and am slightly tempted but the tangles that accompany a beginner put me off... I just use a normal, but small, reel for spinning, with braid. I've yet to find the secret, though. I blank more often than not, when spinning.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Be interested in how you get on with a multiplier. I've seen some videos and am slightly tempted but the tangles that accompany a beginner put me off... I just use a normal, but small, reel for spinning, with braid. I've yet to find the secret, though. I blank more often than not, when spinning.

Do you go for pike too?? Ive been told its also good to have all different sizes of lures too and to keep switching them out if youre not having much luck.

If worst comes to worst, I'll just slap a spoon on and maybe catch some big perch :becool: (if im lucky) Though i admit, i have a bit of a head start with location as I regularly walk the lea and know stretches of it where pike are definitely present. Kings weir being quite a popular stomping ground for pike anglers but that is 30mins drive away but if i was to go, it would probably be alone as dad doesnt river fish.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I was utterly hopeless with a multi., since sold.

delb0y

Legendary Member
Do you go for pike too?? Ive been told its also good to have all different sizes of lures too and to keep switching them out if youre not having much luck.

Pike, perch, zander - anything to avoid a blank!

I do enjoy the lightweight mobile aspect of lure fishing. Just not the lack of fish :-)

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I do enjoy the lightweight mobile aspect of lure fishing. Just not the lack of fish :-)

with that said. I used to regular a reservoir that was super hard. a lot of people spent entire weeks fishing the place and not catching even one. But when they did managed to catch one. it was guaranteed to be at least 30-40lb+ (carp that is)

It was hard but people still kept on turning up

Top Bottom