Letting Down Car Tyres.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Do you think letting all the air out of the tyres would stop everyone from driving away without realising?
I would like to think so but I probably have unjustified faith in human nature, your bum will tell you that you have just got in a car that is 4" lower than normal.

kapelmuur

Veteran
Has anyone actually told a driver that their driving was unacceptable? If so, what was the outcome?

Has anyone actually told a driver that their driving was unacceptable? If so, what was the outcome?
Mixed: One woman told me I shouldn't wobble, another was mortified at her driving, a few have flicked the V's from a distance, a few have said sorry they didn't realize, that's over years, most of the time I couldn't be arsed and most of those times were induced by yells of self-preservation. Polite yells, I try not to swear, so it's mostly OY or MMMMPPPHHSSS because I'm too out of breath to get anything out, although the day before yesterday was, What are you doing lady! but then again I was nearly sitting in the passenger seat at that point.

KneesUp

Guru
Just idle speculation, but I pay for the air in my tyres, just like I pay for diesel in my tank. I go to a machine, it delivers the precious fluid into my car and I pay a charge. .
Your local air line must be very cold!

Pro Tip - air is free at Sainsburys petrol stations.

Reactions: mjr

alicat

Legendary Member
What's dangerous about letting somebodies tyres down, assuming he doesn't get caught by the owner in the act.

I once let somebody's car tyre down. I was being kept awake by my neighbour's car alarm. I went round and the charming twenty-something year old wouldn't even get out of bed. His equally charming mother told me off for raising my voice, which was irrelevant since most of the street was being kept awake. So I took my revenge, just wanting to give him a bit of inconvenience.

I later learnt that it can destabilise the car and lead to the vehicle crashing and decided not to do it agein. So in your shoes I would have left a polite note on the car windscreen.

lane

Veteran
CCTV

KneesUp

Guru
I once let somebody's car tyre down. I was being kept awake by my neighbour's car alarm. I went round and the charming twenty-something year old wouldn't even get out of bed. His equally charming mother told me off for raising my voice, which was irrelevant since most of the street was being kept awake. So I took my revenge, just wanting to give him a bit of inconvenience.

I later learnt that it can destabilise the car and lead to the vehicle crashing and decided not to do it agein. So in your shoes I would have left a polite note on the car windscreen.
I once 'parked like a tw*t' in Oxford, because there was nowhere else to park the van I'd hired to move house. I don't make a habit of such behaviour, but I blocked a bike lane because it was a quiet side road round the corner from my flat, and if I'd parked literally anywhere else within a mile, it would have blocked the whole road for everyone. Someone stuck a fake parking ticket on the windscreen which was not in any way easy-peel. Maybe get some of those?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Yesterday I had a very close pass from somebody in a people carrier. There was no excuse: nobody was coming in the opposite direction and there was plenty of space to pass me without almost knocking me off.

When I pulled into the supermarket car park I noticed the car parked there. It got me thinking: what if I let down all his tyres, what would e the legal position? It would be very hard to argue that I had damaged his vehicle. I hadn't stolen anything.

I have a good friend who was prosecuted and found guilty of this. I don't know the exact charge. He was a local councilor at the time and we've taken the p*** royally for years.

The situation was a neighbour had taken to buying and selling cars from the street sometimes parking 10-15 outside his house on a very narrow road. After numerous requests, council letters to stop etc. my friend went out one night and let all the tyres down. Unfortunately for him he was seen.

T4tomo

Guru
Not cycling but I was once hooted at aggressively by an Orthodox Jewish guy in a people carrier when indicating to change lanes in Manchester. He barged past and prevented me from changing lanes. I dismissed it as the usual big city rudeness and continued my journey to the station. When I reached the station, there he was, having taken a different route. I couldn't resist saying in the nicest possible way, something like "You ought to learn to relax, if you carry on like that you'll die of a stress-related heart attack!"

Bizarrely he looked at me, smiled and retorted: "Oh I would LOVE that!"

I'm still puzzled by that.
Do Jews believe in reincarnation? Maybe he was having a shoot life and fancied an earlier start on the next one.

classic33

Leg End Member
Why not four valve cores from old innertubes, schraeder, in a bag on the windscreen with a note.

I took a set of four in, having had both tyres let down on the bike. Said since he found it so funny to do it to me, I'd removed them from his car.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member

Most don't hang about for a chat.

However, one who did stop was initially very defensive but then when I explained the situation he apologised and we parted amicably.

But I've also had a run in with Ronnie Pickering's less charming doppelganger, who went from having somewhere to go so urgently that he forced his car past on a single track lane to suddenly having enough time to stop and be ultra aggressive to the point I was expecting fisticuffs.

Top Bottom