Letting Down Car Tyres.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Accidentally spill milk in their car air vents. Stinks when it goes sour.
Potato up their exhaust?

Or their car's, if they're not about. ;)

gavgav

Guru
The only time I’ve ever engaged in verbal with a driver was after a rather large lady barged past me, on a country lane. She had pulled up in the next village and parked somewhere illegal, incidentally, to pick up her sprog from school.

I would have just left it, but she had the audacity to shout to me, as I approached, that I was the “sort of cyclist that gives them a bad name”. So I stopped and enquired what she meant, to which she said I should have pulled over and let her through. I politely enquired which hedge she would have liked me to throw myself into and suggested if she got herself a bike and did some exercise, she might benefit from it.

It made me feel better anyway.

The only time I’ve ever engaged in verbal with a driver was after a rather large lady barged past me, on a country lane. She had pulled up in the next village and parked somewhere illegal, incidentally, to pick up her sprog from school.

I would have just left it, but she had the audacity to shout to me, as I approached, that I was the “sort of cyclist that gives them a bad name”. So I stopped and enquired what she meant, to which she said I should have pulled over and let her through. I politely enquired which hedge she would have liked me to throw myself into and suggested if she got herself a bike and did some exercise, she might benefit from it.

It made me feel better anyway.
The school run is always a bad time to be on country roads, single track. If possible I pull in if it is safe to do so and usually people thank me. It is the ones coming the other way who seem to have it it is their god damn right to have priority and often these ones don`t thank you or even slow down. You know that they are going to pick up little Tarquin or Tabatha or whatever they are called. I will usually thank them if they don`t slow down, perhaps with a hint of sarcasm, I know, the lowest form of wit but it makes me feel better !! Still, I`d rather get home in one piece than start WW3.

gavgav

Guru
The school run is always a bad time to be on country roads, single track. If possible I pull in if it is safe to do so and usually people thank me. It is the ones coming the other way who seem to have it it is their god damn right to have priority and often these ones don`t thank you or even slow down. You know that they are going to pick up little Tarquin or Tabatha or whatever they are called. I will usually thank them if they don`t slow down, perhaps with a hint of sarcasm, I know, the lowest form of wit but it makes me feel better !! Still, I`d rather get home in one piece than start WW3.
Totally agree, but on this occasion there wasn’t a safe place to stop, only a high bank which would have likely meant me falling off under her wheels!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
A few years back I was riding a tandem with a blind friend in a narrow country lane. A car came round on the wrong side at speed. The only place to go was a high bank. A tandem is like a super tanker. So I told my friend to hold on tight, stop pedalling and brace as I head straight at the steep slope of the bank. We shoot up the bank and somehow we are still upright so I shout feet down. There we are top of this high bank, still upright and intact. No idea how we managed that as even in my best case consideration we were going to topple over on the bank.

alicat

Legendary Member
A few years back I was riding a tandem with a blind friend in a narrow country lane. A car came round on the wrong side at speed. The only place to go was a high bank. A tandem is like a super tanker. So I told my friend to hold on tight, stop pedalling and brace as I head straight at the steep slope of the bank. We shoot up the bank and somehow we are still upright so I shout feet down. There we are top of this high bank, still upright and intact. No idea how we managed that as even in my best case consideration we were going to topple over on the bank.

Please don't keep me in suspense - how did you both get down?

Reactions: mjr

AndreaJ

Veteran
My commute is past the local village school just at dropping off time and it always amazes me how badly they drive and park near a school their children attend. Most of the regular drivers expect to see me now and know that if they don’t sit on my back wheel in their massive car I will pull over when I can and we can all get where we need to be in one piece . It has taken 2 years to get to this agreement though!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
483604A1-5CA8-443D-A802-9CF0BA1F4D2E.png
Just need to hope you don’t get this behind on a single track wanting past.

Top Bottom