LIDL - Mon 5th Sept

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Like Moby I was at my local store for them opening at 8 too and bought tops in both M and L (will return the wrong size on my way home) as well as the trousers and the bib longs to try. Got gloves and socks too given the throw-away price. Stock levels weren't that great on the clothing at all - in 4 items I cleaned them out of M tops and longs, and there were no S out at all... I'm not sure if they'll stock up later or not.

Have had good use out the shorts, top and gillet I bought back in the Spring, so hopefully these will be as serviceable.

Daveb99

I was also at my local store this morning and picked up several things.

If anyone has a pair of the Bib tights ("Men's cycling suit") in Medium that don't fit then I'll happily buy them off you - I bought one pair and went back for more but they have sold out.

Pretty good quality stuff, for the price, I have to say!

Willo

Just a couple of pairs of socks for me. Trousers/leggings looked decent enough but from a squeeze prob not enough padding for me.

Have bought long and short sleeved tops in the past and they're great value IMO. I found them quite generous size wise - a medium fits me (5 11, 12 stone) where I get XL+ for European team jerseys and the like.

Just got back from a trip. Got 1x mens M bib tights, 1x mens M trousers, 2x mens L tops (one in each colour) and also managed to get an L compression top (they still had some). The trousers are the same good quality as last year and will see me through winter no problems. The tops are a little flimsy. Will get me through autumn but not through winter - so it could be a trip to Aldi soon (got my winter tops from them last year).

The compression top is awesome - got that as part of my layering strategy for my 2nd winter of commuting!

C

chillyuk

I was first at my local Lidl and I only wanted the light set. I wanted to be there in good time to be ahead of the Ebay sellers who soon strip the place of bargains. I got my lights and am very pleased with them, the headlight anyway. The rear light is nothing special but I have decent rear lights so not a problem.

I bought a pump last year and it was very poor. It ended up in the bin. I bought a Reebok branded one from Wilkinsons and that has been very good. It doesn't have a gauge, but for what good most of them are that's no loss.

Daveb99

The track pump looked excellent quality to me, especially given the £5.99 price. If I hadn't bought a Joe Blow one I'd have snapped one up!

darth vadar

Über Member
What is it with these Lidl cycling tops?

Two XL (46" - 48"chest) left so I thought fab I'll have them both, but when I tried them on they would hardly go anywhere near me.

And I am really not that big - honest !!!!!

Going to get there for 8.00am next time and see if the XXL will do the trick.

Either that or go on a diet !!

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Just tried my haul on and quite impressed with the trousers/bibs... seem fairly thick, but like SquareDaff I noted that the tops are lighter-weight than I had expected (and quite breathable by the looks of things).

I now have a couple of questions:

1) can someone please explain the benefits of the bib vs trousers? I've only ever cycled with shorts, and obviously we're approaching the colder weather and I hope to continue commuting in all conditions – including wet and cold! This will be my first winter cycling, and whilst both fit OK, I've never had bibs and they feel a bit "man-kini" if you know what I mean :blush: ...is it purely personal preference that makes you pick one over the other?

2) I'm thinking a short-sleeved compression top underneath the jacket top would be a good layering strategy as the temperature drops. Would that be a sensible approach?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Once you wear bibs you'll never look back. They don't bunch up round the waist. They don't ride down and expose your back. With a shirt on they look the same as waist shorts. They can flatter a bit of a gut. As long as you learn to pull down and lean/hunch, you can still pee without taking them all off (sorry ladies, not you!!) As long as you keep your shirt on only you and yours know what you look like in them on their own, and if you have teen children they will learn a whole new humour-based vocabulary based on "fat wrestler suits" and so on. ..............

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Once you wear bibs you'll never look back. They don't bunch up round the waist. They don't ride down and expose your back. With a shirt on they look the same as waist shorts. They can flatter a bit of a gut. As long as you learn to pull down and lean/hunch, you can still pee without taking them all off (sorry ladies, not you!!) As long as you keep your shirt on only you and yours know what you look like in them on their own, and if you have teen children they will learn a whole new humour-based vocabulary based on "fat wrestler suits" and so on. ..............
LOL! My eldest daughter's only 10, but there may well be some laughing and pointing.... but then again she remembers how fat her dad used to be. I've lost over 5 stone since last November so don't actually look that bad in lycra :biggrin:

I was tempted to return the bibs, but I think it's well worth hanging on to them and seeing how I actually feel cycling in them :thumbsup:

Just tried my haul on and quite impressed with the trousers/bibs... seem fairly thick, but like SquareDaff I noted that the tops are lighter-weight than I had expected (and quite breathable by the looks of things).

I now have a couple of questions:

1) can someone please explain the benefits of the bib vs trousers? I've only ever cycled with shorts, and obviously we're approaching the colder weather and I hope to continue commuting in all conditions – including wet and cold! This will be my first winter cycling, and whilst both fit OK, I've never had bibs and they feel a bit "man-kini" if you know what I mean :blush: ...is it purely personal preference that makes you pick one over the other?

2) I'm thinking a short-sleeved compression top underneath the jacket top would be a good layering strategy as the temperature drops. Would that be a sensible approach?

Bibs IMO stay in place better when you are moving about, they also cut in less to the stomach of the more generously sized person.
For most times of year I like to wear a base layer when cycling (I've summer ones and winter ones), they are IMO a good layering strategy, I might be inclined to wear a jersey also depending upon the temperature.

Edit Video :biggrin:

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Bibs IMO stay in place better when you are moving about, they also cut in less to the stomach of the more generously sized person.
For most times of year I like to wear a base layer when cycling (I've summer ones and winter ones), they are IMO a good layering strategy, I might be inclined to wear a jersey also depending upon the temperature.

Edit Video :biggrin:
LOL! So that's why bibs are best :biggrin:

Scotmitchy

I was in at 8am and bought long trousers from the ladies section, a gents medium top as they had no small and no ladies, so it might fit, two pairs of socks, one pair of gloves as I have lost one of my expensive ones, a wee seat pack for my daughter's bike and a track pump.

I will be trying them all on tonight!

I have the three quarter length ladies trousers and they are actually okay. I do wear a pair of lycra padded shorts unded them though, for added comfort :smile:

Headed down there for a look see and my front Smart light fell off and broke - great timing, so I picked up a light set as a stop gap. The bracket won't fit my oversize drops, but the light fits the old Smart bracket...the on\off switch looks identical too, so I guess they are made in the same factory. Seems bright enough, but fairly chunky.

That's the theory I'll be using this winter - compression top, winter jersey, jacket.
Tried the compression top on for size in the works loos - instant warmth.
Last year I used a thermal fleece short sleeved top in the coldest weather. We'll see how they compare!

Top Bottom