Lidl

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
short sleeve tops are very generous sizes, full length zip, mesh back, zip pocket.
Gilet is similar.
Socks and gloves look good for the price.
Hoist is absolute bargain.
Toolkit fits under the saddle, nice wedge shape with a quick clip, puncture kit with big tube of glue, two multitools., tyre levers, even a tyre patch.

Just got the Panniers was charged £11.99 for the set of 2

May go back later if any left.... Pressie time !!!

PpPete

Legendary Member
Got another pair of shoes... these seem a lot lighter than previous models. Hope they are as robust.
Full zip jersey - found one with quite a nice design for once. Sizing is very generous as prev mentioned.
Shorts (not as good at the Aldi ones IMO - but great for sweaty sessions on turbo or spinning class and consequent repeated frequent washing)
Padding in the gloves is pretty crappy.
Bought tool kit for one of the kids bikes and a cheap saddle too - which I dont expect will be great, but will do as temporary measure on a refurb project.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Got the top , gilet and shorts.

Had to take the gilet + shorts back as the sizing was terrible.

The shorts were to tight around the thighs so i had to go the next size up for comfort and the gilet was a boat so i had to go a size down, at least the top was the right size !

Luckily i had some cash come today so i could spend it !!

Hydra

Occasional Pepper Carver
I was up bright and early to grab some bargains!

I got the panniers which seem bloody good value for money: two side panniers plus a removable top bag to use as a normal bag. Also got some rain trousers, shorts and 'performance' underwear. As well as a saddle, which seems alright for seven quid.

Oh and the alu floor pump. Seems crap but will probably suffice for it's job of being a spare.

All in all some great stuff at great prices. Gotta get there early though, I don't see the best buys lasting that long. There were already a fair few cyclists mooching about when it opened at 8am (one of them was me
whistling.gif
)

Davidc

Guru
This has never happened before!!!!

I went into Lidl this morning with a shopping list for their cycling promotion.....

And I came out with everything on the list.

They had it all, in the right sizes.

The shoes were the only pair in size 44, I don't care I got them.

The two pairs of padded mitts were the only two pairs in size 8.5. I don't care I got them.

Plenty of panniers, plenty of pumps, plenty of computers.

Getting near the metal racks with the stuff in them was a bit of a scrum, but that's what you expect when they do their cycling promotions.

NiMH batteries next Monday - I want 6 of their high capacity C cells, so hope it's the same.

I bought a saddle for my utility bike but passed on the shoes as they were a bit bendy and not a good fit. Plus a bar of chocolate and some frankfurters.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Didn't buy anything. As usual no small in mens kit. Not my choice of colours anyway. Would have liked a white gilet, but white in womens only. Sizing on inner tubes not clear, but worked out that the 28" tubes were only for fat tyres (?). Seemed to have abandoned the more 'sporty' cyclist - baggy waterproofs, wide saddles, for example - I'm sure that a few years ago they sold SPD/SL shoes as well. And that blue on the shoes! So tacky - would be so easy to have made them with a better colour. (Grump over)
- oh yes .... I still recommend the aluminium track pump. Buy a Topeak brass chuck to replace the one supplied and it will go on for ever - it has a very narrow barrel though, so probably best for narrower road tyres.
Didn't see any shorts in my local store (Melksham)- probably not paying attention, but there were no glasses - notice saying problems with supplier.
Loads of stuff left this morning.

mightyquin

Popping out at lunchtime to the local branch, will they have anything left?! Want the shoes to try clipless without spending too much yet!

Davidc

Guru
^^ #38

The new blue shoe colour is even worse than the old orangey brown, but the shoes do still have the fittings for SPD cleats (which I won't use!). The design is the same, and I've found their shoes comfortable and functional so I'll put up with the colour. Good value at £15.

Agree on the tubes - the sizing is unclear. I now ride with 700c 32* tyres and I reckon those tubes would be too big for them, worse still for 25s or less. If I'd been sure they'd fit I'd have had a couple of the sets so I could take them as throwaway spares. I'm planning some long day rides this year and could do with some more - anyone know of any good bulk buys anywhere at the moment?

I've only got the pump as a reserve for the electric one, so it won't see much use, but was pleasantly surprised at how well it got up to 120 psi when I checked it after buying it. Wouldn't fancy trying to inflate a car tyre with it though.

There's an error in the pump instructions too - they say it gets hot because of friction, which is rubbish

The glasses weren't in their online advert either so no surprise they didn't have them, a shame because they were excellent value for money last time they did them

*The way the roads are now I'm wondering about going up to 37s!

ohnovino

Large Member
Got a computer, track pump and gloves. The pump is to be a spare kept in the office for emergencies, so I'm not fussy about it being perfect. The gloves are really shoddy (stray threads, very loose at the wrists) but I prefer getting cheap ones and throwing them away to buying expensive ones and trying to keep them clean.

When I went at 9am there was 6 other shoppers there, all of them only looking at the cycling gear. But shame on them all - I was the only one who'd actually cycled there :tongue:

Shrim

Bought 2 cable locks at £4.99 each, they seem quite good for that price but wouldn't use them as a main security lock.

Went to Lidl at 10 this morning and there was a hive of activity around the cycling items, would't count on there being much left tomorrow.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
No cable locks in Melksham - or in the online ad. for our area. Appears there might be a different mix of offers in different parts of the UK. By the way the pump I recommend is the track pump. The other one is just a car tyre footpump.

Cringles

Picked up a right few items in my local. Although they didn't have the shoes, panniers, or the hanging thingy. Then I felt like a complete dumbass, wishing I took my bike. As I sat in the carpark for almost an hour with a flat battery, waiting on someone to jump start me!

Also are the water proof trousers worth getting? I never picked them up.

Top Bottom