Lidl

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chickc78

Popped along mainly to swap my broken trackpump for a new one (top marks to Lidl as I didn't have a receipt) and came away with a Computer (£3.99 it would be rude not to) and a total surprise for me - a new helmet.

I have a massive head and the only helmet I ever found that was a decent fit was the Bell Triton XL - Bell recently replaced this model and to my disappointment the new model is too small even though it claims to be as big as the outgoing Triton. I noticed that the Aldi helmet (£8.99) stated a fairly generous size range on the box so figured I might as well try it on, I was amazed that a) it fitted and b) was 10x more comfortable than my Triton.

:biggrin: :thumbsup:

gillelive

went in my lunch hour for a nose, Bootle Merseyside - place full to the rafters with gear - pumps, shoes, gloves, hats, tool kits, all the clothing, computer, bottles, hoists etc. a few people looking but not a scrum, the stuff is cheap and cheerful and handy for a back up, i was looking at the gloves but thought they were poor quality and the shoes, ok but not for me....going to spend a bit more on some Shimanos..... oh the gillet, the socks and the waterproofish trousers looked ok but i didn't need them - and why is the sizing here and in aldi crap?

Just been to the Doncaster Lidl. Plenty of stuff left and the place was half empty. Got 2 tops, the white half zip and the blue full zip (£6.99 each), a track pump (£4.99) and some socks and gloves (£2.49 and £2.99). Just need to get my kit kat back sorted out now and looking forward to some warm weather cycling!!

Cringles

For anyone who has the track pump. Have you used it yet? I just tested it out, and I can't seem to get air into the tire. The valves on my tires, are the kind that, you unscrew & push down a bit to let air in and out. When I attach the pump. It keeps moving ever so slightly, letting more air out than in. Because of the way the pump is packed, with the tube fasted over the handle. It leaves a bend in the tube, so It's hard to keep it straight and level enough to even use.....Am I a fool, or is the pump not up to much.

I find this type of valve design to be a bit of a pain to. I've already broken one because I had the pump at too much of a angle.

Update:

Forget everything! I've only just figured out how to use 'presta' valves
blush.gif
Great pump!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Went into mine about 8.20am, and there was just me and another fella... loads of stuff still, but I DIDN'T REALLY NEED ANYTHING
smile.gif
So I got 2 pairs of mitts and a pair of shorts.
cool.gif

Usually by end of first day there's just the larger-size stuff left, in my place. Occasionally a few bits and bobs hang about for a week or more

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
spent a bit in there:

• panniers (the one where the top bit comes off to make a laptop bag), looks decent quality with velcro for attaching. not put it on yet
  • light waterproof jacket, fit is good and although it can do a cagoul trick with the back pocket, it's not as compact as i'd like. i'll see how it performs
  • compression vest, nice fit and holds the fat in. also useful if you're thinking of looking a bit gay if worn without a jersey over the top
  • saddlebag, converts to a rucksack, bought with the kids in mind
  • spoke reflectors, as above

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Got my first pair of shoes and a pair of socks,hope the quaility is as good as everyone says but for the price you cannot grumble.Shoes feel very good and the sole nice ad sturdy,could'nt push Mrs Skud to two pairs.The branch at Tyldesley was empty of people and had loads of stuff.

mightyquin

Damn, no shoes at my nearest branch (Wallington). But I ended up buying a helmet (has a built in light on the back!), waterproof trousers, shirt, track pump and some pasta sauce, all for £30.

If the shoes are a bit so-so I might wait and buy a pair from the bike shop.

Mike!

Guru
No shoes in my local one (wanted some to stick in the cupboard), brought some socks, a top and the toolkit.

What i really want is a work stand......

^^ #38

The new blue shoe colour is even worse than the old orangey brown, but the shoes do still have the fittings for SPD cleats (which I won't use!). The design is the same, and I've found their shoes comfortable and functional so I'll put up with the colour. Good value at £15.

Agree on the tubes - the sizing is unclear. I now ride with 700c 32* tyres and I reckon those tubes would be too big for them, worse still for 25s or less. If I'd been sure they'd fit I'd have had a couple of the sets so I could take them as throwaway spares. I'm planning some long day rides this year and could do with some more - anyone know of any good bulk buys anywhere at the moment?

I've only got the pump as a reserve for the electric one, so it won't see much use, but was pleasantly surprised at how well it got up to 120 psi when I checked it after buying it. Wouldn't fancy trying to inflate a car tyre with it though.

There's an error in the pump instructions too - they say it gets hot because of friction, which is rubbish

The glasses weren't in their online advert either so no surprise they didn't have them, a shame because they were excellent value for money last time they did them

Decathlon do good value Inner Tubes get all mine there and very rarely repair them at the price they are...... but dead handy for a swap over when the P******e Fairy Strikes
*The way the roads are now I'm wondering about going up to 37s!

PpPete

Legendary Member
Shoes---- AAARGH !

The cleat nut plates are worse than they used to be !
They are not made of cheese anymore - but the threads are so poorly cut that they will rip up your cleat bolts (if you can ever get them started that is)

So do I spend £8 on a new Shimano plates? or £8 on a cheap tap & die set ?

Gixxerman

Guru
Got some shoes, 2 pairs of socks, a rucksack and a jacket.
The shoes are the normal fare. But in my eyes they do not look as good as the previous incarnations that I got from there. I bought this pair to use on the road as my original pair, though still going strong, are used for off-road as well, and are getting a bit on the messy side. The cleat plates seem better on these. The cleat plates in current pair just stripped the threads when I tried to get the bolts tight, so I had to buy some plates off CRC. I will probably do the same for this pair as I need some more cleats.
The socks look OK. Better than the last pair I got from there. They seem a bit thicker and better padded.
The rucksack is actually pretty good for the price. It will also double up as a climbing day sack when I go rock climbing. It is ideal for this as it is small, light and quite slim.
The coat looks quite good, is light, and has some good features. Alas mine will have to go back as one pocket has a hole in it. I will exchange that tomorrow.

S_t_e_v_e

Veteran
Went in at 2pm and was lucky to get the last items in my size - a gillet, a pair of 3/4 tights and a pair of rain trousers, also got a blue full zip top, pair of gloves and a cycle computer as a spare...

:biggrin: That's my kind of retail therapy!

I was the second person in my local one this morning (set my alarm early! :biggrin:). Got the panniers, 3/4 leggings, jersey and underwear set. Then decided the shoes looked nice too, and were a good fit (I already have some cycling shoes, but these look more like "normal" shoes - that's how I'm justifying them! :rolleyes:). Picked up some socks and gloves too.

Glad I went in early - there was a flurry of people shortly after I arrived, and they only seemed to have one of each size in some of the women's stuff. Panniers and shoes seemed to be the most popular items, not sure how long they'll be on the shelves...

killiekosmos

Veteran
I got first pick at 0810 today.

Not a lock of stock, probably about 6 of everything - why bother?

Nice lady in shop even suggested I try stuff on as sizes are weird (as long as I folded them back into packaging). Got a gilet, 3/4 shorts and socks (£17 and change). Padding in shorts is rather basic but I wanted to try something between my winter longs and summer shorts. Gilet has reasonable zip (problem with recent Aldi jackets).

Top Bottom