Like a Brompton but not like a Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

macp

Guru
Afternoon all hope you are staying safe. So I love the look and the idea behind foldable bikes but what if I wanted something like this but I dont need the folding bit. I commute to work almost all year round except for snow & ice and its an 8 mile round trip from Cheshire country lanes into town. I love the smallers wheels and quirkiness of foldables as well as a more upright ridiing position.

Strange question ?

Just buy a Brompton or maybe a Moulton anyway ?

figbat

Slippery scientist
A project or restored Raleigh RSW or Twenty?

Smudge

Veteran
Small wheeled bikes are better to ride than i always imagined them to be. But its really all about the fold for me, i doubt i'd own one if it wasn't for the fold.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
The one thing that is bad about my Brompton and my Dahon is the choppy ride due to the small wheels

So there's no way I would choose small wheels unnecessarily.. That's just being hipster

Yes heard the small wheel comment applied to the Brompton before but a Moulton. I guess because they are on 20"

jay clock

Massive member
The Dahon is 20" and handles better than the Brompton.. However the fold mechanism always makes me feel like it is about to fold itself up!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
But this vid increases the want for the Brompton for some reason

View: https://youtu.be/7A-flq3tGb8

All part of the drip drip from the Brompton publicity machine 😄. And what does it prove? You can use any bike for any type of journey. The fact is a Brompton is made for commuting on a train or whatever and then for the short journey to the office. I love my folding kiddywheeler which I bought at a bargain price but given the choice and the cash I'd prefer the Moulton and it will give you more smiles per mile.
Plus the Moulton club is a much more exclusive one.

12boy

Guru
You could consider a minivelo if folding isn't an issue. I find my Brompton to be very comfortable except for handlebar buzz on irregular surfaces. That can be dealt to some degree by using bar ends and ergo grips. As far as expense goes, handmade steel bikes are generally not cheap, although I can't see paying a lot extra for a fancy paint job. The minivelo below is a $400 Bikes Direct Nano, modified a bit. It now has bull horns, SPDS, a Nitto stem and a B17 Narrow saddle and weighs about 25.6 lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_0299.JPG
    IMG_0299.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
You could consider a minivelo if folding isn't an issue. I find my Brompton to be very comfortable except for handlebar buzz on irregular surfaces. That can be dealt to some degree by using bar ends and ergo grips. As far as expense goes, handmade steel bikes are generally not cheap, although I can't see paying a lot extra for a fancy paint job. The minivelo below is a $400 Bikes Direct Nano, modified a bit. It now has bull horns, SPDS, a Nitto stem and a B17 Narrow saddle and weighs about 25.6 lbs.
Looks cool and no I dont need a folder just love the style of the smaller wheeled bikes. Cant see anybody selling in the UK ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom