Little things that make you a little smug

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Kaipaith said:
Errr... actually I know it's over a pound, but I haven't the foggiest what it is. I'd hazard a guess at £1.04 or £1.05 but I've not looked in months. My car is sat in the car park (with bike rack attached, natch) and hasn't moved except to ferry gardening equipment to the allotment.

That's quite scary, but cool. I used to look at petrol prices weekly, if not daily.

7 years ago I was filling my car up for the commute every other day. A change of jobs and mode of transport and we have got rid of one car and I only ever drive at weekends or when we go on away. My wife usually fills up during the week and so the only time I notice the price is when we are on our hols.

Filling the car up once every six weeks.

andyfromotley

1. cycling up the chevin on lovely mornings like yesterday looking down on wharfedale covered in mist below me.
2. Overtaking cars on the run down into headingly. You can see the look of disbelief on thier faces.

Alan Whicker

Knowing that every day I'm getting a bit fitter (apart from achy knees), and my jeans are getting looser.

Does using my Airzound when I pull up next to a driver yakking on his mobile count as smug?

chap

Veteran
I would say, overtaking people uphil on their 20+ gear mountain/racing bikes whilst I'm on a 3 speed Brommie, but that would sound horrible - not unlike those lycra-ists ;)

I do enjoy passing cars stuck in a queue, especially the arrogant drivers in those family-carriers that make the roads a misery for everyone else due to their erratic driving.

aka0019

When some arse hole hairs it past you in their car far too close and is then stuck in the huge queues of traffic further down the road and you just cycle on past them hahaha f*** you mate!

Cyclists are the same though,they pass too close.Happened to me today on the commute home on Waterloo Bridge.

dodgy

There's smug and there's smug, I'm not buying that people here don't know how much per litre car fuel costs. It's emblazoned in foot high letters at most forecourts!

purplepolly

dodgy said:
There's smug and there's smug, I'm not buying that people here don't know how much per litre car fuel costs. It's emblazoned in foot high letters at most forecourts!

And why would I be looking at it? When I'm passing a forecourt my attention is on either the driver about to cut through me to get to the garage or the driver about to pull out into me when leaving the garage. The price of petrol that I never buy isn't even of secondary interest.

For the same reason I don't know the speed limit on several roads that I use on a regular basis despite this being displayed in large numerals on very obvious red edged signs.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
For me, the most smug-making experience is cycling effortlessly through mile after mile of stationary rush-hour traffic.

Portsmouth to Fareham by car in the rush hour = well over an hour.

Same journey by bike = 35 minutes.

And yet they still pile into their cars by the thousand - and then complain about the traffic??

Top Bottom