Little things that make you a little smug

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lizban

We all know the big advantages of cycling, the speed, the cost, the fitness the greeness etc etc. But as a rule it is the little things that make me feel a little smug when cycling rather than driving. Like;

Watching the 4x4s struggle to get through width restrictions
The chaos caused by a badly parked van

Any little things that makes you feel a little smug?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Lizban said:
We all know the big advantages of cycling, the speed, the cost, the fitness the greeness etc etc. But as a rule it is the little things that make me feel a little smug when cycling rather than driving. Like;

Watching the 4x4s struggle to get through width restrictions
The chaos caused by a badly parked van

Anything little things that makes you feel a little smug?

I have a large roundabout at the beginning of my commute (Sundridge park , to all those who are local) it has a big field and a pathway running though it and the cars have to circumnavigate.

I often get over taken by cars on the approach, cut across the roundabout (in an orderly fashion) and pop out miles ahead of them once more, some of them are visable puzzled as to how I got in front of them again.

Makes me smile if I make eye contact with them

MickL

Über Member
Being allowed to finish work 5 min early on a Friday so I have enough time to cycle to the station to get my train :headshake: all because I use a bike ( Our boss is a big Green fan) while the rest have to toil till 5.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Lol I know that Roundabout, it the Paxton Road one isn't it...

jonny jeez said:
I have a large roundabout at the beginning of my commute (Sundridge park , to all those who are local) it has a big field and a pathway running though it and the cars have to circumnavigate.

I often get over taken by cars on the approach, cut across the roundabout (in an orderly fashion) and pop out miles ahead of them once more, some of them are visable puzzled as to how I got in front of them again.

Makes me smile if I make eye contact with them

purplepolly

Smug? moi? I like the way I can easily get round obstructions that motorists can't:-

Near home I dismount at side of a main road, push the bike over the pavement and join a side road that has been cut off from the main road.

ditto cutting through the local hospital and using the pedestrian gate at the far end

and a local road that's been closed for months while a bridge is being worked on, there's just a narrow gap left at the side of the bridge which is cyclable.

Edit: this is not a generic smugness, but a specific one. Still makes me smile when I think about it, though, even now. Possibly 'cos I used to sit in gridlock in that village in the car - gridlock often caused by people like the one I describe below who couldn't just wait for a few seconds.

I did once go a different way to work (needed to drop stuff off at the in-laws), which took me through a village which is often gridlocked* in the morning. As it was that particular day.

I was kind of going round the side of the gridlock, and then across it down a road which is no-through to motor vehicles but links to a bridleway. The gridlock was starting to clear and there was a WVM (rather sensibly) waiting for the last few cars to come the other way to complete that clearing process so he could continue on his way. This seemed to cause considerable annoyance to the woman behind him: she was tooting and telling him to "get an effin move on", gesticulating and so forth. (I suspect this may have had a bearing on his decision to wait for the oncoming traffic :headshake:).

She was stopped across the road I wanted to go down, so rather than try to squeeze round behind her on the bike, I pulled up to the left, got off and walked across the road between her and WVM. She was still hollering at him, so I joined in along the lines of, "yeah, go up there when you can't go anywhere and block the road then you can all sit here all day".

That earnt me an "and you can effin shut up as well", so I got back on the bike, gave a cheery smile and wave and went off down the side road.

* there's a row of parked cars, then a gap, then more parked cars, repeat. Due to the curve of the road, you can't see if anything's coming the other way. You often get two rows of cars meeting head-on alongside the parked cars and nobody can go back 'cos of all the cars behind them.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Filtering past cars queueing to get out of the train station.

Riding past petrol stations the day before price rises.

HelenD123

Guru
ianrauk said:
Motons overtaking only for them to get caught up and for me to effortlessly glide pass..

+1 particularly when I see a colleague sat in the queue and think I'll beat them to the office.

garrilla

I posted this elsewhere the other day, but I'll post again

There is one particular round-a-bout where a single lane traffics splits at the r-a-b into two (one lane is really for right turners into a very small housing estate) but both lanes are packed with motons going straight ahead.

On the otherside of the roundabout the junction is immediately pinched back to one lane, so betweem them the two queues have to organise themselves and filter.

Everyday I sail past thinking "if you all stayed in one lane you'd be through this junction much, much quicker"

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...03229&t=h&z=19 I'm going 4o'clock to 10o'clock

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
[*aside: Helen, great avatar....makes me misty-eyed*]

Riding alone on old railway cyclepaths in the warmth of a tree-dappled Sunday sunrise...

Top Bottom