Living in the past

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member

Cycling is one thing that would have been better when that ad was published. Less traffic and more freedom.

And before someone says that modern bikes are better, I have bikes like those and am perfectly happy to ride them. They are very comfortable and relaxing and perfect for sightseeing rides. Change the rear sprocket to something sensible and they are okay on hills too.

U

User32269

This thread has made me question everything in my life. I've just took a photo of the footwear I've got on now.
DSC_0214.JPG

Ha ha, black Harrington with red tartan lining and burgundy stay press. I must have looked like a right galoot.
That describes my going the pub but looking smart clobber now.

Think I must be such an embarrassment to my wife and kids. I'm off to re-evaluate my life choices.
Thank you cycle chat.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I seen a guy in the gym wearing a pair of Dunlop Greenflash , they looked like he'd had them from the 70s but I think a nice new pair would look the business.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Funnily enough, when I was back in the UK last November, I almost bought a black Harrington jacket off Retford Market. I must say Harrington jackets have been seared into to my mind as clothing of mythic proportions ever since while wearing one I had a high speed Raleigh Arena crash (had to be going downhill to gain any sort of speed) in the early 1980s. I had severe and very bloody abrasions on my elbow, but.... like some form of miracle (the Hand of Harrington I call it), the jacket had no visible rips or tears whatsoever. From that moment on, I've had a love affair with them. Well, that and the fact that as a 14 year old I thought they were cool as I saw Paul Weller wear one before I realized he really is a pretentious d**k.

Anyway, back to Retford market, November 2016. Frickin' thing was size XXXXXXXL and even though I am now substantially more "well proportioned" (cough) than I was in the 1980's, even I found it was just too big, perhaps more befitting for Frank Cannon (I threw that reference in for those of you who remember the 1970's). I was gutted -the bloke at the stall told me he could get my size the following week, but by then I was going to be back in the States where they think a Harrington jacket is some kind of new restrictive top for the mentally insane.

Anyway, still looking for one -particularly if I fall off my bike so I can give a stylish flash of tartan on the way down to the ground.

Ha ha, black Harrington with red tartan lining and burgundy stay press. I must have looked like a right galoot. :laugh:

U

User32269

I remember my dad every Sunday morning using fibre glass and resin to patch up my brother's 12 year old VW Beetle's holes.
Never had you down as middle class kid Accy?
We used flattened bean tins, pop riveter and a smear of underseal. Fibre glass and resin? Luxury.

U

User32269

I have fond memories of glueing a panel cut from then side of a old washing machine onto the floor or my Allegro...using silicone sealant as glue... then slathering an inch of underseal over it to hide the join... then mixing up a bucket of mud and painting it on to hide the fresh underseal.

Cars were so much easier to work on back then.
Never told me that when I bought it off you.

Top Bottom