Loaded cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes their not cheap but I do a lot of backpacking as well as bikepacking and kayak touring. So it gets plenty of use.
i thought possibly so, appreciate that in backpacking every gram really does count.
Out of interest, do you have any problem with damp/wetness? I gather that some more modern down fillings have conquered this issue.

Baldy

Über Member
Never had any problems with down sleeping bags been using them for over 40 years. I think this hydrophobic down is just another marketing con. Invent a problem then sell something to cure it. All their doing is dipping the feather in DWR type chemicals, drying them before stuffing them.

Not even every gram. The great thing about the minimus bag is how compact it is. It’ll fit together with my tent in a 15l pannier.
well yes I appreciate that down is smaller per given warmth (see my post above) but on a bike I don't necessarily need ultra small as I'm not a racing light tourist.
Out of interest though, what temp have you used it down to?

Baldy

Über Member
Out of interest though, what temp have you used it down to?
About freezing, did have a thermal top on at that temperature.

I would say that’s about limit with bag rated to 5C from memory
ah OK, thanks.
The snugpak is supposed to be OK to -5 comfort I think and am aware that bags don't always quite match what is claimed (at least for some sleepers) and that they may well lose a certain degree of effectiveness/insulation with use. Have compared it to other stuff in the past and decided that a switch isn't worth it, at least not at the moment.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
ah OK, thanks.
The snugpak is supposed to be OK to -5 comfort I think and am aware that bags don't always quite match what is claimed (at least for some sleepers) and that they may well lose a certain degree of effectiveness/insulation with use. Have compared it to other stuff in the past and decided that a switch isn't worth it, at least not at the moment.

Also depends whether you run warm. Either way getting into sleeping bag before you cool down is key. Old school long johns and long sleeve thermal tops often do the job if you want to use a bag at a lower temp than it’s nominal rating.

I do have a softie 12 I’m happy using in snow at -12C or so.

Also depends whether you run warm. Either way getting into sleeping bag before you cool down is key. Old school long johns and long sleeve thermal tops often do the job if you want to use a bag at a lower temp than it’s nominal rating.

I do have a softie 12 I’m happy using in snow at -12C or so.
i tend to use set of aldi synthetic long johns and long sleeved top anyway - mainly so's I don't alarm anyone too much if I go for a nocturnal P - though the set is bright blue.

Top Bottom