Loaded cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
what's the tent?
what do you do for food?
For this setup a 1 man cheapy from Amazon. Food is a ready meal heated up on a rocket stove, usually a curry. I don’t drink tea or coffee, so make do with water scrounged on the way. I have been known to find the odd pub or too when I can wild camp nearby.

oo - a mulchy looking wood - similar pic from me.

am definitely a kitchen sink person, even though that tent, Snugpak Ionosphere, is small and minimalist. I had three drybags on top of that rack. Am still intrigued by your minimalist set-up @Milkfloat - where's the sleeping bag/what is it? Mine on that trip took up a very substantial bit of one of the panniers - definitely more room than the tent. I would have been carrying more if I had been cooking - I just had espresso making gear with me.

edit - have been vaguely looking for a wild/free camping pic thread on here but can't find - maybe this thread can also encompass that - unless someone wants to start another.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
oo - a mulchy looking wood - similar pic from me.
View attachment 612334
am definitely a kitchen sink person, even though that tent, Snugpak Ionosphere, is small and minimalist. I had three drybags on top of that rack. Am still intrigued by your minimalist set-up @Milkfloat - where's the sleeping bag/what is it? Mine on that trip took up a very substantial bit of one of the panniers - definitely more room than the tent. I would have been carrying more if I had been cooking - I just had espresso making gear with me.

edit - have been vaguely looking for a wild/free camping pic thread on here but can't find - maybe this thread can also encompass that - unless someone wants to start another.
Sleeping bag is an Aldi special - about the size of 4 pints of milk. It is far too small/tight for me at 6'4" and I have to wear all my clothing to keep warm :smile: It lives in the dry sack attached to the bars, together with a thin inflatable mattress and silk bag liner.

Sleeping bag is an Aldi special - about the size of 4 pints of milk. It is far too small/tight for me at 6'4" and I have to wear all my clothing to keep warm :smile: It lives in the dry sack attached to the bars, together with a thin inflatable mattress and silk bag liner.
cripes - I've seen that. Not sure i could use that on all but the warmest of summer nights. When do you use it? Mine is a Snugpak - very good, 3 seasons, am planning to try using it in winter with an extra thermal lining.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
cripes - I've seen that. Not sure i could use that on all but the warmest of summer nights. When do you use it? Mine is a Snugpak - very good, 3 seasons, am planning to try using it in winter with an extra thermal lining.
Realistically 2 and a little bit seasons. I am ok for a couple of nights, but anything longer than that and I cannot cope with the discomfort, then the big boy comes out, but then I switch to another bike with panniers.

Realistically 2 and a little bit seasons. I am ok for a couple of nights, but anything longer than that and I cannot cope with the discomfort, then the big boy comes out, but then I switch to another bike with panniers.
I wouldn't put up with any serious discomfort at all to be honest.
(of course some folk would consider sleeping in a wood hell in itself but that's another matter)
That pic of mine above was taken this month in the recent downpour - snug as a bug.
I got the snugpak from their factory for a good price.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I wouldn't put up with any serious discomfort at all to be honest.
(of course some folk would consider sleeping in a wood hell in itself but that's another matter)
That pic of mine above was taken this month in the recent downpour - snug as a bug.
I got the snugpak from their factory for a good price.
I own 3 sleeping bags and am not really happy with any of them, I keep looking for the elusive extra long, left sided zip, super warm, packs small and is a great price bag, but never quite get there.

I own 3 sleeping bags and am not really happy with any of them, I keep looking for the elusive extra long, left sided zip, super warm, packs small and is a great price bag, but never quite get there.
I have the impression that you have to go, er, down the down route for really compact with performance - both of mine are snythetic - good bags but not super compact, particularly the Mountain Equipment one. Maybe you need to toss the bikepacking lark into touch, embrace more volume. I usually put my bag on top of a rack - no great problem.

This is my snugpak, got mine for well under £100.

https://www.snugpak.com/softie-9

made in the UK :smile:

Last edited:

presta

Guru
I met a guy in the Lake District once who'd cycled all the way down the west coast of Scotland, and was on his way back home to Ripon. His only luggage was a bar bag.

Baldy

Über Member
For three seasons use my bag is a down PHD minimus, packs down really small and weighs under half a kilo. It's also quite roomy, I've tried sugpack synthetic bags in the past. So narrow I couldn't get my arms inside. They're not cheap though.

For three seasons use my bag is a down PHD minimus, packs down really small and weighs under half a kilo. It's also quite roomy, I've tried sugpack synthetic bags in the past. So narrow I couldn't get my arms inside. They're not cheap though.
saying that again, tho am sure it's very good/well made
https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/minimus-down-sleeping-bag
£402
I think I'll stick to my snugpak with various linings/add ons. Am a fan of layering/a certain redundancy.
In truth unless a real minimalist or after touring speed records I don't think you need to go ultra compact on a bike.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I came across a very lightweight bikepacker recently sat on a grass verge at the bottom of waddington fell - he was heading back to Bristol on this horror:
https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=9107
been sleeping in fields.

On an audax you’ll only sleep for 3-4 hours at most. When you do sleep it’s because you really need to. So minimalist as in nothing or just a bag to keep weather off. It is.

On an audax you’ll only sleep for 3-4 hours at most. When you do sleep it’s because you really need to. So minimalist as in nothing or just a bag to keep weather off. It is.
fair answer - though reinforces my idea that ultra audaxes are some sort of obsession/drug/self-inflicted punishment for a crime imagined in a previous or this life. In past ages, folks crawled over glass to holy shrines.

edit - he was a nice and rather chatty guy but in my chat to him I do remember saying how wonderful the cycling and scenery was in the place he'd found himself. "is it?" he said - had the idea that head down/grind/grind/grind he was somewhat blinded to it by the sheer effort.

Last edited:
Top Bottom