Loaded cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
This counts as fully loaded for our recent LEJOG

Helped by these facts:

1. B&Bs all the way
2. Home at half way so only on the road for 6 days
3. @I like Skol had massive panniers so I kept popping stuff of mine in them

This counts as fully loaded for our recent LEJOG

View attachment 603367

Helped by these facts:

1. B&Bs all the way
2. Home at half way so only on the road for 6 days
3. @I like Skol had massive panniers so I kept popping stuff of mine in them
pic of skol's bike?

freiston

Veteran
I can't resist the temptation to post a picture or two.

First one was from when I were a teenager, 1981 I think - me in the photo and my bike on the right - no front panniers but Karrimor Bardales were fitted and in use

This one is from a little trip last year with my nephew - I'm carrying most of the gear. His carbon road bike isn't designed to carry much - he swapped out his carbon seatpost for an alloy one and mounted a seatpost rack with a pair of smallish panniers (the sort that are joined together and slung over the rack before being secured): this was a lot cheaper and easier than purchasing/using "bikepacking bags".

I can't resist the temptation to post a picture or two.

First one was from when I were a teenager, 1981 I think - me in the photo and my bike on the right - no front panniers but Karrimor Bardales were fitted and in use
View attachment 603887

This one is from a little trip last year with my nephew - I'm carrying most of the gear. His carbon road bike isn't designed to carry much - he swapped out his carbon seatpost for an alloy one and mounted a seatpost rack with a pair of smallish panniers (the sort that are joined together and slung over the rack before being secured): this was a lot cheaper and easier than purchasing/using "bikepacking bags".
View attachment 603888
seems like you are loading on top of wider tyres these days.
Good move I think.

freiston

Veteran
seems like you are loading on top of wider tyres these days.
Good move I think.
In 1981, I was using Michelin Elans on Mavic Module E rims. iirc, the Elans were listed as 1¼" but in reality measured up at about 1". This was before the internet and I didn't belong to a local club; my (and my friend's) main source of information was the CTC magazine so I don't really know what the "trend" was at the time but in my mind now, my vague recollection is that Elans were quite common in the touring fraternity (I could be completely wrong) but club riders/time trial riders were rolling on tubs.

I'm currently on 32mm Vittoria Randonneurs, which are very puncture resistant and lasting a lot better than the Elans used to (though they probably have more rolling resistance). I have some folding Randonneur MkII tyres in store (I managed to get some cheap from PlanetX when they were getting hard to source). I gather that the Elans were prone to blowouts and I did have one blowout with them (rear wheel), in the middle of town and it was very loud ^_^.

In 1981, I was using Michelin Elans on Mavic Module E rims. iirc, the Elans were listed as 1¼" but in reality measured up at about 1". This was before the internet and I didn't belong to a local club; my (and my friend's) main source of information was the CTC magazine so I don't really know what the "trend" was at the time but in my mind now, my vague recollection is that Elans were quite common in the touring fraternity (I could be completely wrong) but club riders/time trial riders were rolling on tubs.

I'm currently on 32mm Vittoria Randonneurs, which are very puncture resistant and lasting a lot better than the Elans used to (though they probably have more rolling resistance). I have some folding Randonneur MkII tyres in store (I managed to get some cheap from PlanetX when they were getting hard to source). I gather that the Elans were prone to blowouts and I did have one blowout with them (rear wheel), in the middle of town and it was very loud ^_^.
another fan of Planet X cheapo vittorias here. I prefer 37/38 for loaded though.

More minimalist packing.
The chap's trying to ignore it.

edit - at the risk of more horror I should say that amongst other stuff there's two spare bike saddles and a tea caddy in there - but pleading leniency, pic is not from a tour - but a point to point trip shifting some stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom