Loaded cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Loaded up on a recent bike packing trip.

OP
OP
cwskas

cwskas

Über Member
that much luggage for 18 miles and overnight?:ohmy::ohmy:
I didn't need any luggage for that trip, but I loaded it up as if I were going across the continent to see how it rode and how I handled it. It was still way too much and I have been tweaking. I typically ride with about 20 lbs of gear which I don't really need and most times with three full water bottles just to get used to riding with the extra weight.

Willie

Ever since I started thinking about "The Big One" I've nearly always packed expedition style. As Willie says, for the practice.

Weight, speed and distance are all measurable but pulling out a seriously big and heavy, old hardback Grimm's Fairy Tales to read in a German forest is an unmeasurable pleasure I would not have wanted to miss out on.

Having said all that, the likes of @chriswoody pic above and his adventures excite me in a different way. I think I'm just too soft - I like my comforts!^_^ (and probably too tight!:laugh:)

There's a huge "loaded bikes" thread on CGOAB which I found inspirational and educational years ago. It would be great if more posted pictures of their loaded bikes.
A lot of people lurk on these fora and never post. I'm sure the sheer diversity of our bikes, gear and loads would be really useful.

Me going light and using a tank for emphasis:laugh:

Excused I hope by Hobbes advocating packing expedition style for even short trips I'll offer this to the potentially horrified.

On the train to the start I got talking to a couple of cyclists out for a dayride who said they hadn't taken much more or maybe less on their half-way round the world trip.
I was only off for two nights between lockdowns.
On the back are two separate tarps (small and large), possibly a poncho that can also become a tarp, and a small bivi tent. Plus assorted tarp hanging gubbins and probably two tarp poles.

In the end I used none of that sheltering stuff at all - just slept out under the stars in a bivi bag - one night in the New Forest and the second on an open heath.

One judgemental person told me that the bike would handle like hell but actually it was just fine and dandy - the heavy stuff is all in the panniers, not on the top.

Oh - I always carry a lot of food/snacks/fuel with me - I like to be largely self sufficient apart from beer - the red 15 litre ortlieb dry bag on the top has my coffee making kit plus cycling fuel.

My mind is boggling. What coffee paraphernalia do you take to fill up such a big bag?
This:

Though there's lots of other stuff in the magic red bag as well - big supply of homemade cycling snack, lidl breakfast goods, malt loaf, wine gums, fig rolls, gels for dire emergencies etc. Bag probably a bit less than 15 litres when rolled up. It means I can just keep rolling - maybe for a couple of days with no need to fanny around buying food.

Last edited:
More mind boggling for Helen, though this wasn't on a normal tour or day ride but a one day trip including train shifting some stuff between places.

Leaning against the grave of JP Joule who you all probably learned about in gloomy afternoon science lessons.

Note the ever present red bag @HelenD123 :smile:

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Leaning against the grave of JP Joule who you all probably learned about in gloomy afternoon science lessons.
Oy! I'll have you know that when I taught about James Prescott Joule, it was anything but 'gloomy'! (To be fair, not entirely sure all my former students woul agree though)
A fascinating scientist whose work we should all be thankful for.

Oy! I'll have you know that when I taught about James Prescott Joule, it was anything but 'gloomy'! (To be fair, not entirely sure all my former students woul agree though)
A fascinating scientist whose work we should all be thankful for.
well I'm not a scientist as you maybe gathered - more on the arts side - my memory is just that science lessons (usually double) always seemed to be on dark November afternoons but that was probably just a reflection of my inner mood.
Have you read that gravestone? It aint exactly full of the innocent joys of life/chilling.
He's buried in Sale of course - I did kind of pay homage to him on another recent fully loaded trip that way by having a pint or maybe two of something rather wonderful in the nearby spoons named after him - glorious sunny and chilled morn it was sat outside.

(* seem to remember there may be something dedicated to him in Manchester Town Hall as well)

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
My first ever attempt at cycle camping. I gave up having got 3/4 of the way there after taking a wrong turn which lead to backtracking 5 miles up the steepest road I've ever encountered.

My first successful bike tour.

Way of the Roses last year was my first multi day tour. Did that with my dad.

I've yet to crack lightweight touring :laugh:

Last edited:

burntoutbanger

Veteran
Went out to test my hammock this morning before the rain was due.

Been eyeing up this spot as there are plenty of trees to get my distance right.

Finally found two that gave me the right tension. The view was awesome and it was the most relaxed I've felt in weeks.

The tea wasn't bad either. 😀

Top Bottom