London commuting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It is useless, as far as I am concerned. There is no provision for me to make a right turn off it on my way to work, and none to make a left turn on the way home.
Are motorways also always useless to you if there's not junctions exactly at your starting point and destination?

Trickedem

Guru
And a big well done (Not) to Greenwich and Tower Hamlets council for spending money on illuminated no cycling signs in the Woolwich Foot Tunnel. Hardly any pedestrians use this and there is a lot of shared use pavements that have less room. It would have been better to change the bylaws to allow cycling.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
And a big well done (Not) to Greenwich and Tower Hamlets council for spending money on illuminated no cycling signs in the Woolwich Foot Tunnel. Hardly any pedestrians use this and there is a lot of shared use pavements that have less room. It would have been better to change the bylaws to allow cycling.

When ever I have been through there I don't think I have ever seen another ped.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Gaz has made a video of the new cycle super highway

Looks great. Seems a much more efficient use of roadspace in terms of numbers- i.e. Thousands of cyclists instead of loads of queuing single occupancy and polluting cars.

I have to go to London on Friday and will be taking the bike - might have to have a bit of a go on that!

tatr

When ever I have been through there I don't think I have ever seen another ped.

Sounds like it is broken then - per Wikipedia the signs are supposed to use computer vision to permit cycling when quiet which seems fair enough.

"The system has also been installed in the Greenwich foot tunnel and aims to make urban shared spaces safer and more pleasant to use for all. The system displays two messages - "No cycling allowed" (in red text) during busy periods, and "Please consider pedestrians" (in green text) during quiet periods."

Trickedem

Guru
Sounds like it is broken then - per Wikipedia the signs are supposed to use computer vision to permit cycling when quiet which seems fair enough.

"The system has also been installed in the Greenwich foot tunnel and aims to make urban shared spaces safer and more pleasant to use for all. The system displays two messages - "No cycling allowed" (in red text) during busy periods, and "Please consider pedestrians" (in green text) during quiet periods."
Thanks for explaining that. I apologise to the council's concerned. Only saw 1 pedestrian today at about 8am, so it isn't working though

tatr

Could be worth a complaint? With times & pedestrian #s observed.

Councils don't proactively fix things! Too much broken stuff and not enough resources. They only get around to repairs when it is less work than dealing with the comments.

Sounds bad but I suppose it does prioritise things people care about.

markharry66

Über Member
I used that tunnel for three years day in day out. Cycling through it is not safe. In evenings and early mornings it used to get busy. Might have possibly changed as i know they shut north woolwiich station down.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I used that tunnel for three years day in day out. Cycling through it is not safe. In evenings and early mornings it used to get busy. Might have possibly changed as i know they shut north woolwiich station down.

It was closed for a few years for refurbishment. I don't think they've actually made people aware that it is open again.

Trickedem

Guru
It is perfectly safe for cycling through as it so seldom used by pedestrians. I think as you say, that the closure of North Woolwich and the introduction of the DLR to Woolwich has removed the need.
I think the restrictions were introduced several years ago when the Docks were busy, but they're not relevant now.
The Greenwich Tunnel is a different proposition and is normally busy with pedestrians. Particularly tourist traffic and people commuting to Canary Wharf

Lonestar

Veteran
I used the new East West Superhighway CS3 today. Previously when I arrived at Tower Hill coming from Canary Wharf you were just spat out into heavy traffic and it was very difficult and dangerous to get to the other side if the City.
Despite the need for some improved road marking the junction now works and with very little delay I was on the new CS3 path. It was a massive improvement and saved me a lot of time. The biggest issue is pedestrians, stepping out without looking.

Lot of tourists there so not really a problem for me although your statement could be apply to any CS.I don't like the CS 3 from Limehouse to Tower Gateway much,spend ages waiting at 7? sets of lights and sometimes they don't change anyway.May come into the CS 3 later meaning I will use more of the Commercial Road.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It is useless, as far as I am concerned. There is no provision for me to make a right turn off it on my way to work, and none to make a left turn on the way home. One way I would have to go past, then use a pedestrian crossing and go back down the road. The other I would have to wait at the lights, turn right, do a u turn, and wait for the lights again.
Or hop off and walk...

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Can I just say that I was wrong about CS3? I thought it would be horrible. In fact it's mostly very well thought out, and a pleasure to ride. The exception is the bit around parliament square coming from Buck House, where there's a pointless bit of shoving you to the right.

The "speed bumps" are level pedestrian access to bus stops, and so actually quite radical in reminding cyclists that they're not at the bottom of the pyramid.

Oh, and the signposting isn't finished.

Top Bottom