London commuting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Can I just say that I was wrong about CS3? I thought it would be horrible. In fact it's mostly very well thought out, and a pleasure to ride. The exception is the bit around parliament square coming from Buck House, where there's a pointless bit of shoving you to the right.

The "speed bumps" are level pedestrian access to bus stops, and so actually quite radical in reminding cyclists that they're not at the bottom of the pyramid.

Oh, and the signposting isn't finished.
I have three main foci in London. Marylebone and Waterloo stations and Gracechurch Street.

I rode this evening from the City to Westminster Bridge (for Waterloo) without stopping at a red light. That is a record. It's because the only red lights are pedestrian crossings.

I rode this evening from the City to Westminster Bridge (for Waterloo) without stopping at a red light. That is a record. It's because the only red lights are pedestrian crossings.
no no no NO! You have to stop at red lights!!

(yeah, i get it. Sorry :smile: )

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Lot of tourists there so not really a problem for me although your statement could be apply to any CS.I don't like the CS 3 from Limehouse to Tower Gateway much,spend ages waiting at 7? sets of lights and sometimes they don't change anyway.May come into the CS 3 later meaning I will use more of the Commercial Road.
Off topic but Commercial Road might be a bit snarled up due to roadworks. I think the TfL travel information email said it was down to one lane each way. Mind, I only remembered that because the lane closures start at Batty St (Rd?) and I thought that's a daft name for a street.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
In the category "cyclist I know who is least likely to jump a red light" the award goes to............
Actually I very nearly did. But then I'd had a few beers.

Lonestar

Veteran
Off topic but Commercial Road might be a bit snarled up due to roadworks. I think the TfL travel information email said it was down to one lane each way. Mind, I only remembered that because the lane closures start at Batty St (Rd?) and I thought that's a daft name for a street.

It's not as many as seven and I'm getting used to the CS 3....One of the lights has a push button which I never noticed before.Probably explains why I waited there so long.They aren't all like that though....The CS 3 is too narrow for two way.IMHO.I'm trying to keep off the Commercial Road.Found White Horse Road which connects with the back of the church.

tatr

I don't like the Farringdon Blackfriars Bridge one

The NS highway is a bit pointless North of Blackfriars Bridge but only because it was cut short early - if it took you all the way to Kings Cross as planned it would be great.

That extension might still be on the cards if the new mayor doesn't kill it - the consultation closed recently. Details on route at http://www.cyclescape.org/issues/2045-north-south-cycle-superhighway-extension-to-kings-cross

Going South from the bridge is really nice! That bit of road used to be quite unpleasant to cycle on but now it is very fast.

Last edited:

booze and cake

probably out cycling
The NS highway is a bit pointless North of Blackfriars Bridge but only because it was cut short early - if it took you all the way to Kings Cross as planned it would be great.

That extension might still be on the cards if the new mayor doesn't kill it - the consultation closed recently. Details on route at http://www.cyclescape.org/issues/2045-north-south-cycle-superhighway-extension-to-kings-cross

Going South from the bridge is really nice! That bit of road used to be quite unpleasant to cycle on but now it is very fast.

Agreed, coming southbound past the Smithfield Mkt turn that road was so cratered it was like riding through a rock garden before, now its nice and smooth but we have new hazards to contend with....the day before yesterday I was coming south on that section approaching the fleet st/ludgate hill crossroads, when I had to pull over because a Nissan Micra was driving up the segregated lane towards me:eek:. I frantically waved at him and yelled out 'this is a cycle lane' or words to that effect but fruitier. The signage does need improving if they are going to stop this sort of thing.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
It is useless, as far as I am concerned. There is no provision for me to make a right turn off it on my way to work, and none to make a left turn on the way home. One way I would have to go past, then use a pedestrian crossing and go back down the road. The other I would have to wait at the lights, turn right, do a u turn, and wait for the lights again.
there seem to be entrance and exit ramps at every junction or road, where are you trying to turn and how did you do so before the highway thing was there.

I'm interested not disputing.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Yep - four of them in a stretch about 200 metres long - the platform type about 2-3m across. Two of them aren't too bad and they've put in a decently angled ramp on either side. The other two however feel near vertical and give you a right old bump up if you head over them at anything faster than a crawl.
are they speed humps or raised sections for pedestrians to cross?

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
New video from @gaz

Is the Stockwell cycle lane big enough to deal with the volume of cyclists?

Already it looks like some cyclists are preferring to use the roads rather then the lane.

Top Bottom