London: Embankment cycle superhighway gets approval

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
The consultation process seemed to drag on and on but now London Mayor Boris Johnson has decided to go ahead with his contentious flagship cycle superhighway.

The plan is to put a single segregated cycle lane along Embankment to link Hyde Park with Tower Hill.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-30993893

_77341268_77341267.jpg

Looks pretty good

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I wonder how long before the first smash involving two cyclists.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
That's Blackfriars Bridge, isn't it? It looks like motors won't be able to turn left immediately off the bridge any more. There have been a few bike accidents from left hooks there.

(Nice of the impressed artist to eliminate all HGVs, parked cars and vans from the world.)

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Yup - it's BF. I assume the segregated lane will be optional. Drivers are going to be irate if cyclists don't stick to the lane though. It's a shame - that section of Embankment works fine as it is.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
The 2 cyclists facing each other on the right hand side..
It'll be fine because all the cyclists will be stopping at all of their own red lights.

I found it interesting on BBC London this morning when the guy who was pro the highway was talking about its benefits and said it would be great for all of the people coming in to work by bicycle and when pushed carried on 'children and the elderly are scared to cycle around traffic'. Hmm, I thought, the city is all chimneys and B&Q's obviously...

I can see if you decided to ride the non-segregated portion there (because, say, the traffic light set up is better or you don't want to be weaving a big S bend to get from segregated to segregated) cage drivers would start getting irate.

OP
OP
Hitchington

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
I can see if you decided to ride the non-segregated portion there (because, say, the traffic light set up is better or you don't want to be weaving a big S bend to get from segregated to segregated) cage drivers would start getting irate.
Drivers get irate with cyclists now anyway

Top Bottom