Long Mynd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Here we go again. Strava isn't promoting anything.

Globalti

Legendary Member
As always it's the actions of a few who are spoiling everyone elses's fun. The attitude of a minority of riders was one of several reasons why I drifted out of love with mountain biking after 21 years as a fanatical MTBer. Mind you. it's the actions of a minority of aggressive road cyclists that mean I don't like riding with big groups.

Kajjal

Guru
Its the normal small minority of idiots. Most mountain bikers are friendly enough and realise the trails are shared due to goodwill on all sides.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
My heart sank a little seeing this on the front of tonights paper.

I have encountered riders like those described and as already mentioned it's a minority who treat the area like it's a trail centre and ride as if not expecting to find walkers, horses or other cyclists in their way.:thumbsdown:

No idea what the solution is though.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I don't think Strava is helping itself with the attitude it is showing. Washing it's hands of illegal cycling segments on Strava and expecting others to flag them is weak. In any case, flagging doesn't remove the segment, it just requires the user to agree to a disclaimer before viewing it.

I'd like to see Strava take a more proactive position on this. Otherwise there is no real effective way to stop this other than manpower on the ground which is a waste of scarce resources. Strava is not unsophisticated and I would think they could develop a way to identify inaccessible areas and prevent segments being created in them. They just don't appear to have the will to do so

Yeah 'cos we never rode bikes as fast as possible before Strava turned up. :rolleyes:

The problem is some folks want to have their fun with willful disregard for the safety of others. There is no solution for that.

If the NT were serious about prosecuting those riding illegally then all they have to do is ask Strava to provide the names of riders racing illegal segments. It won't actually stop anyone riding illegal trails, but it will stop folks posting their rides on illegal trails on Strava.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I also go on Singletrack forum and it's quite common for people on there to discuss riding on footpaths; they just describe them as "cheeky" and add a wink emoji.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I was lingering in my favourite bike shop recently and I overheard the owner chatting with a couple of grown-up mountain bikers who complained that they had received abuse from some walkers. The shop owner's opinion was that mountain biking has gone from being a niche sport to an activity that anyone can enjoy by buying a bike and driving to a trail centre and in his opinion, these are people with little outdoor experience, no tradition of using maps and no understanding of countryside law or lore. He reckoned that the next progression after buying the bike was to go on Strava and hit the open country with no comprehension or care for the legality of the trail and that the situation is getting steadily worse.

Kajjal

Guru
I was lingering in my favourite bike shop recently and I overheard the owner chatting with a couple of grown-up mountain bikers who complained that they had received abuse from some walkers. The shop owner's opinion was that mountain biking has gone from being a niche sport to an activity that anyone can enjoy by buying a bike and driving to a trail centre and in his opinion, these are people with little outdoor experience, no tradition of using maps and no understanding of countryside law or lore. He reckoned that the next progression after buying the bike was to go on Strava and hit the open country with no comprehension or care for the legality of the trail and that the situation is getting steadily worse.
A very good point, when i started mountain biking in the early 1990's there were few if any trail centres and most riding was on natural trails in the country. This meant rather than having closed off trails and riding flat out in trail centres you had to be aware of other trail users, livestock etc. when riding on natural trails.

Top Bottom