Longest ride in 4 years.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm chuffed to bits with myself today.
For anyone that's seen my posts over time, I used to be a 52 week and year rider. 30+ miles on TPT etc, at dawn in all conditions, you get the idea (yes I was barking!). That ended when I wrecked my knees big time. Cue lots and lots of pain then physio. I was told early on I may never ride again.

Anyhoo, today I cracked 21.5 miles from Kilnhurst to Wigfield Farm between Dodworth and Worsborough.

It's one of those milestones I never though I'd manage again.

Where would we be if we couldn't get out and fly? :wahhey:

D

Deleted member 20519

Very well done, I can't imagine the feeling of being told that you might not be able to ride again. Congrats, great achievement! :biggrin:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Well done! :thumbsup:
I've got a damaged knee, the doc says cycling is not advisable ... did I listen? :biggrin:
There is always knee replacements to consider ^_^

byegad

Legendary Member
Well done! :thumbsup:
I've got a damaged knee, the doc says cycling is not advisable ... did I listen? :biggrin:
There is always knee replacements to consider ^_^

Me too!

She advised me to take it easy on my knee as at 61, with an expected 15 years from a replacement knee, I should try and make the original knee last,. Allegedly I'm TOO young for a replacement!

I'm doing my best to wear it out in the next year as when I'm 77 I don't think it'll matter if my knee works or not. Meanwhile the pain killers are getting a hammering and I ride as far and as hard as I can manage.

There is no point in dying with a prefect body. I intend to hammer it to the point where death is welcome.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Me too!

She advised me to take it easy on my knee as at 61, with an expected 15 years from a replacement knee, I should try and make the original knee last,. Allegedly I'm TOO young for a replacement!

I'm doing my best to wear it out in the next year as when I'm 77 I don't think it'll matter if my knee works or not. Meanwhile the pain killers are getting a hammering and I ride as far and as hard as I can manage.

There is no point in dying with a prefect body. I intend to hammer it to the point where death is welcome.

Knee replacement on Bupa costs only a few thousand pounds :smile:

Paul_L

Über Member
Great stuff.

I slipped two discs in January 2010 and it was touch and go whether i'd be able to ride again. My consultant and first physio told me it was unwise. Second physio (i sacked off the first for telling me stuff i coulnd't accept) told me to go for it and helped me through it.

I've done over 7000 miles since then!

I really couldn't contemplate life without cycling.

Well done again!

Muguruki

Ha, physio schmysio. Nice one la.

I had 10 years off the bike due to ME then did 1000 miles last year. I've done over 3,000 this year so far as well as having arthroscopy 3 weeks ago to remove a lump of cartilage. Got on my bike last week I was laughing all the way around the 22miles.

Don't let the buggers get you down.

stewie griffin

Über Member
Nigel-YZ1 & all the others that have replied with knee problems, can you put those problems down to anything specifically or was it just bad luck, with hindsight would you or could you have done anything different or were your knees going to give you problems in time no matter what?
Only asking in case there are lessons to be learnt or warnings not to be ignored, it just might help someone else.

Muguruki

I started having problems with my knee after getting knocked over while dancing too aggressively at a Meteors concert about 30 years ago, long before I started doing any serious bike riding. In fact I never had problems with my knee on the bike. My loose bit of cartilage would sometimes rear its ugly head and lock my knee as I was cocking my leg over my bike but if anything my cycling helped my knee. I think its better that strong muscles take the strain rather than bones and joints.

Top Bottom