Longest ride.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goody

Veteran
How did you get on goody?
413km. I went into it all wrong thinking it would be easier than it was and expecting to finish a lot earlier than I did. For the last 150km I was sure it was going to be my last Audax. I'm over that now I've read some reports from others especially the comment *At one point, grovelling into the headwind to Wells on the Asparagus & Strawberries 400 on Saturday, a fellow rider said: "At least we're not doing the Severn Across." . I find these harder mentally than physically maybe it's the fear of failing or giving up not sure I'll see how WCW goes. Maybe if I go into it expecting to use more of the time available and split the ride into two with a decent meal, maybe a pint or two and some sleep I'll enjoy it more. I'm still fairly new to the wonders of Audax I did one in 2013 one in 2014 and five this year hoping to do PBP. When I read what some get up to on the YACF audax forum doing rides such as the crackpot or maniac I think I need to toughen up a bit. Wish I was better at ride reports, jefmcg's a good read
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=87222.msg1860048#msg1860048

Last edited:

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
107. 4 miles to a mates house and then 103 on the actual event ride.

I can't be asked to ride any further than that! :rolleyes:

Ed Phelan

Mine is a nice round 100 miles from London to Brighton, then back up to London again. I was SO very close to riding back down to Brighton again, which would have made the whole thing around a 150 - 160 mile ride. I realized I wouldn't probably be able to make it at the time, so I caved and gave in which I really regret now. I would love to give it another try, but on a different route. I honestly think the only reason I made it was a combination of Enduro, bananas, carefully planned bottles of Gatorade, and a slather of muscle massage oil to work out the kinks each way.

If I did it again, I would probably try it without all the crazy glucose drinks and mild supplements. Also, I've never heard of Strava before, even after coming here regularly for while now. Is it on Android?

martint235

Dog on a bike
LEL 2013 worked out at 900 miles for me. I rode to the start of the prologue from home. Longest ride in a day is 242 miles to Wootton Bassett and back with 4 other members of this esteemed group

Awesome, thanks. I'll be back in a few days with some stats I suppose. Happy weekend everybody!
Be careful. Continuous GPS drains the battery.

toffee

Guru
Just upped my longest ride from 54 to 62 miles today.

Slow start against against the wind but was quite sunny
Screenshot_2015-05-16-17-56-05-1.jpg

andrew_s

Legendary Member
325 miles, the first day of PBP, in about 23h 50m. I then had about 6 hours sleep, so I won't count the rest as the same ride.

But did you freewheel anywhere, my longest ride without freewheeling is 7 miles.
Not counting fixed wheel, 38 km from Pinos Genil to the top of Pico Veleta, uphill all the way, average just over 6%.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
134 miles (which oddly seems more than 217km) last weekend The Great Escape audax.

For years my benchmark has been 100 miles. I think it's been psychological. Now I've gone and booked myself in for another 200k audax.

I can't see myself going much further than this just because of the time it takes, and the associated logistics. I'm not one who relishes the thought of sleeping in bus shelters.

I was about 16 when I did my first 100 miler so it's about time I moved it up a notch.

martint235

Dog on a bike
While I'm sure that some people have slept in bus shelters it really isn't a requirement. I've never slept in a bus shelter and have no intention of doing but I'm still hoping to get a 300 miler in this year

Reactions: 4F
Top Bottom