Looking at specialized sirrus limited 2012...any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

raggydoll

Über Member
I've never heard of planet x bikes. They got a good reputation?
Are SRAM gears considered better quality than shimano?

vickster

Legendary Member
Not better, just different - on a hybrid and especially on a roadbike (different mechanism). The Sirrus Ltd has SRAM

Yes, good rep to Planet X as far as I know, British Co (unlike Specialized, US mega-brand, who I always think are overpriced).

Dunno where you are but Planet X are based in Sheffield/Rotherham or similar

I don't know if the bike is for communiting - need to check whether mudgaurds, rack etc can be fitted easily if needed

If I had that sort of budget and not totally hung up on all carbon, I'd also get me a test ride on a Whyte Sterling :smile:

OP
OP
R

raggydoll

Über Member
It's not for commuting, more for fitness. I'll be riding on country roads mostly.

What's do you like about the whyte stirling?
It looks really good actually (but I know very little about bikes...hence why I'm here!)
I still think i'd need a triple at the front for the hills.

Is there any other gear configurations that have similar granny gearishness capabilities as a triple?

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't get the gears but I was told that SRAM Apex is better for beginner cyclists on hills than say Tiagra which is sort of equivalent

The Whyte is a good looking bike, super components, super brakes, super light - and it's a British Company, not American and not everyone has one ;) There are Sirruses everywhere (maybe not the carbon), I have never seen a Whyte on the road. I have a Sirrus, but it's commuterised and I couldn't justify another £1k toy for commuting (carbon roadbike for fun)

Here's a review http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/gear/bikes/urban/whyte-stirling.htm

jackthelad

raggy you are now getting hit with too much choice

go to a specialized dealer try
a sirrus
a tricross
a crosstrail
a secteur

then you will know what suits you ,only after you have this info can you take this post further,I am not saying buy either of these bikes but this collection will let you know more of what different bikes are about

Top Bottom