Lower leg discomfort

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShinSplint

When cycling quite hard, the first area of my legs to feel pain is the front outer area of my shins... anyone else get this?

Its not a nasty pain, more of an ache, and I simply stop pedalling as hard for a while and it goes away.

I am thinking maybe my saddle is at the wrong height, and have just raised it a touch, which im gonna try on my ride home from work.

In the meantime, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and if so, any ideas on how to resolve it?

Cheers !

Pottsy

Have a look at this:

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/lowerleg/anteriorcompart.htm

I first thought shin-splints but as far as I know that's normally not so much on the outside of the shin and is generally an impact based over-use injury.

Possibly worth seeing a qualified physio/osteo for better advice.

OP
OP
S

ShinSplint

cheers pottsy,

Its not 'splints. I learned about that the hard way, through running.

At this stage its not painful enough to consider Sports threapy etc, but if it persists I will probably see someone.

Pottsy

I thought you might have heard of shin splints and eliminated that. :evil:

Saddle height and position and cleat position (if you're clipless) are definite areas to look at.

montage

God Almighty
I'd say it is your shin splints....I sometimes get a tight feeling in my shins when cycling....but nothing too painful.

Shin splints can take a long time to dissappear...

OP
OP
S

ShinSplint

:rolleyes: no, im not wearing peanuts. And my shoes are only 3 months old, so it wont be those.

Its a different feeling altogether than the shinsplints I originally developed through running. I very much doubt I have shinsplints now.

Top Bottom