Lunch or Dinner Time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
[QUOTE 5101465, member: 45"]It's the meal, not the time. The main meal of the day is dinner.[/QUOTE]

Yes.

Dinner is the meal, not the time.

Eg a roast dinner, which can be eaten at lunchtime or in the evening.

Julia9054

Guru
I'm with @Afnug

Dinner is the meal around noon
Tea, towards 17:00 - 18:00

L*nch is for Southerners

Stuart Maconie summed up the 'going out for supper' that some southerners partake of, in one of his books
When a publicist suggested it, he had images of sitting on her settee, in his dressing gown, eating cheese & crackers
I agree too.
Although if I am just having a sandwich, I would call it lunch. Also, if I went to a restaurant in the evening, I would probably be going out for dinner rather than my tea. Though I realise that this means I may end up eating dinner twice . . . it's complicated!

U

User32269

I agree too.
Although if I am just having a sandwich, I would call it lunch. Also, if I went to a restaurant in the evening, I would probably be going out for dinner rather than my tea. Though I realise that this means I may end up eating dinner twice . . . it's complicated!
Stop pretending your posh, I've met you!

Even down here in 'that there' London we only ever had school dinners. Explains a lot.
But do kids who bring their own carry a Dinner Box?

perplexed

Guru
It's breakfast, dinner and tea. A snack late in the evening is supper...

Anyway, even the southern-centric BBC knows that late afternoon/early evening is 'tea time'.

I've mentioned before that 'tea time' is actually on the clock in Yorkshire, because it is used by BBC Look North to describe the time of an event - for example, 'The Archbishop of York conducted 500 mass dunkings outside the Minster at tea time...'

Last edited:
Top Bottom