M.O.T. watch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
images-1.jpg

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Renault F1 teams made a barking mad super Twizy. They threw away the feeble vacuum cleaner motor and slung in an F1 KERS unit and some beefy batteries. They then laughed maniacally and went and burned some nuns in a Wicker Man.
twizy-f1-valladolid.jpg

oldwheels

Legendary Member
120 mile round trip in my 14 yo motorhome for mot. Passed ok but my local garage would have had a good kicking if it failed as they check it over before I go. They cannot do the mot as the garage is not big enough to get it in on to the lift. Only scare was when the tester went to drive it into the garage as he did not have the door high enough but he stopped in time and applied local high tech. An old ladder lies there ready to push the roller door the full way up. I decided after the pass to get a new timing belt fitted as the present one is now 8 years old. Handbook says replace after 3 years. One advisory as one front tyre is getting a bit low but at my mileage it will do for a while yet.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
So what auto (wife requirement) ragtop Smart should I be looking for ?
Are later autoboxes any better ?

The boxes get a lot of slagging for being jerky. In truth they can be, but by an utter fluke I'd been taught sustained changes when doing my plod class I almost 2 decades back - apply the same technique to the Smart and the shifts become seamless.

What age you thinking of Sheddy? I've the W450, the original shape (albeit the facelift with different suspension and bigger motor.) I love it, but they really are enthusiasts cars and need maintaining as such. That said, if you're not afraid of a spanner they are incredibly easy to work on indeed. The Brabus engine version has a tougher engine with an oil cooler and harder exhaust valves, but still isn't that quick and falls into a higher car tax bracket, so really isn't worth the ackers.

The second gen W451 from 2007 to 2014 isn't as charismatic, but is a lot more reliable. The non turbo 1.0 is a Mitsubishi engine and is very tough indeed, and its a decent proposition to just drive and treat like a normal car. The 451 was available as the all electric ED in later years.

The current 453 generation is still a bit pricy (£19,000-£30,000 new, up to £35,000 for some of the tuned up Brabus editions. Earlier versions are coming down in price with low mileage. Cabin is a bit wider, kit more hi tech. The electric EQ model will probably be my next car.

Have a read around www.evilution.co.uk which is a marvellous tome. If you buy a Smart the £10 annual fee for full access is the best tenner you'll ever spend.

Last edited:

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
That never made it into production or even concept - it's just a stock current Espace with the slicks, wings and stickers from the Renault F1 RS18. It's the work of a chap called Marco van Overbeeke - a bit like sticking a baked bean can exhaust and 17" alloys on your mum's Corsa.

sheddy

Legendary Member
The boxes get a lot of slagging for being jerky. In truth they can be, but by an utter fluke I'd been taught sustained changes when doing my plod class I almost 2 decades back - apply the same technique to the Smart and the shifts become seamless.

What age you thinking of Sheddy? I've the W450, the original shape (albeit the facelift with different suspension and bigger motor.) I love it, but they really are enthusiasts cars and need maintaining as such. That said, if you're not afraid of a spanner they are incredibly easy to work on indeed.

Sorry, no idea - we've been on the G&T tonight so not really thunking pruperly...

Top Bottom