Made a mistake with my road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I should have added, the handlebar height is also important - for a first go at a road bike it should be so that the top of the bar is at the same height, or perhaps 1 cm higher, than the top of the saddle. Once you've had some practice and got used to it you can lower the bar a bit. Most modern road bikes are fitted with AHead sets, to raise or lower the bar you put in or take out spacers. The bike shop can do this for you. They ought not to charge.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
How do you brake Ibby? The best way is with the hands on the hoods and then paddle down with your fingers.

OP
OP
Ibby22

Ibby22

Thanks everyone for all the replies it has given me loads to think about.

I bought a 47cm Trek Pilot 2 wsd, I didn't test ride it, but I did try a 47cm Trek 1.5 which seemed ok at the time. I got it from a good bike shop locally. The only thing I have changed since then is put a comfy saddle on, (my backside is not yet ready for a racing saddle lol) reduced the bike post very slightly as I thought it was too high and tilted upwards the handlebars, so in other words everything.

I am due to go back for it's 6 week check soon, and I do like the look of the cross levers. I just feel very dangerous about having to apply the brakes quickly, it has certainly taken the shine off what I thought was a well thought purchase. I have cycled for many years but always used a hybrid.

As to having my hands on the hoods that is something I am not doing, I put them on the drops, so that is something I can certainly work on.

As to cycling a few hundred miles I am well off that target ;) . I am going to check all my measurements and go out tomorrow for a little run around the Wirral.

Thanks

Ibby

Norm

HLaB said:
Good luck, when you start riding on the hoods I think you'll notice the world of difference :-)
+1 to that! After 20-odd years away from drop bars, I bought a roadie last October and I now use the hoods on that much / most of the time.

There's such a wealth of positions on drop bars that I would definitely give it time and practise, especially on the hoods which are just a great position. If you ride on the drops can you reach them? Because you can get shims to bring them closer ( I have them on mine). Also, possible personal view this but I find the brakes easier to operate from the hoods if there's a little slack in the brakes i.e. they don't come on instantly, again it could be a small hands thing.

A late welcome from me as well. There's a few of us Wirral riders on here now.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
If you are riding down in the drops much of the time and have rolled the bars backwards a bit to make it easier that is why you cant reach the brake levers ,rolling the bars back causes the brake levers to stick out forward at more of an angle.

I would put the bars back so the brake levers are vertical and try again. Most riders spend most of their time on the hoods anyway.

I used a shorter stem initially to get used to the road bike position but now after about 6 months and 1500 miles on it I am back on the original stem.

If you bought it in a shop I would go back and ask them to help you set the bike up right for you ,once you get used to it you wont want flat bars on it.

Good Luck

Ibby, I bought a trek road bike last year, and to be honest I've hardly ridden it because I'm struggling to get used to the drop bars... I know the only way to get over that, would obviously be to ride it more, but it just seems more scary than fun a lot of the time. Admittedly, I definitely haven't done a few hundred miles on it yet, partly because the saddle needs an urgent change - it's the men's one and it's sawing me in half after about 15 miles!!! I shall persist tho...hopefully, I'll eventually get used to it! Sorry, I know that doesn't help you, but just didn't want you to think you are the only one struggling!

colinr

I remember riding on hoods felt like I was going to go over the front, this lasted for a couple of weeks. Now I don't think anything of it. Same for riding fixed, wearing clipless/clip-in (whichever term you prefer), riding in drops... just takes getting used to, but you have to want to get used to it.

Lol, clipless took me about 30 mins to get used to - drop bars, together with a bike that feels like a twitchy race horse compared to a steady shetland pony, seems to be much harder! I basically need traffic free roads as I find myself taking bends so widely I'm almost in the other lane. I do want to get used to it, but it's so much easier to just hop back on the old familiar mtb! :biggrin:

colinr

SPDs were easy because I'd spent a month struggling with straps. Then SPD-SLs were a walk in the park.

I basically need traffic free roads as I find myself taking bends so widely I'm almost in the other lane.

I still do that :biggrin: But I trust the bike a lot more now and am happy to throw it round corners at less than sensible speeds.

Riding a mountain bike just feels plain weird now, it's too upright and cornering is unresponsive!

Crankarm

Guru
Ibby22 said:
Thanks everyone for all the replies it has given me loads to think about.

I bought a 47cm Trek Pilot 2 wsd, I didn't test ride it, but I did try a 47cm Trek 1.5 which seemed ok at the time. I got it from a good bike shop locally. The only thing I have changed since then is put a comfy saddle on, (my backside is not yet ready for a racing saddle lol) reduced the bike post very slightly as I thought it was too high and tilted upwards the handlebars, so in other words everything.

I am due to go back for it's 6 week check soon, and I do like the look of the cross levers. I just feel very dangerous about having to apply the brakes quickly, it has certainly taken the shine off what I thought was a well thought purchase. I have cycled for many years but always used a hybrid.

As to having my hands on the hoods that is something I am not doing, I put them on the drops, so that is something I can certainly work on.

As to cycling a few hundred miles I am well off that target :biggrin: . I am going to check all my measurements and go out tomorrow for a little run around the Wirral.

Thanks

Ibby
I would go back to the bike shop asap and ask for assistance in setting the bike up so it is more comfortable for you. You needn't wait six weeks. I suspect they have stated 6 weeks which is when they figure most bikes will have been sufficiently used to need checking over and adjustment if necessary. As you become more confident with your bike and adventurous it might well be that you adjust your riding position again.

I like Trek road bikes. They are well made and handle well IMHO. I have one so am biased. Stick with it I'm sure you will quickly start enjoying it and leaving others for dust.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Welcome, good bike fit and set-up stuff here:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

Assuming the bike is the right size, then drops are worth persevering with... as said ride on the hoods and make sure there is movement in the levers before the brakes bite.
Bar height, and rotation, and stem angle are all adjustable and maybe some set-up help is required.
Any local CC'ers able to hook-up for some practical help?

jimboalee

Ibby22 said:
I find women drivers in micra cars are quite good at trying to kill me without the help of suicide levers!!!!!

I've already tried rotating the handlebars nearer me but to no joy.

They were called "Safety handles".

I fitted a pair to a bike for a small lady. Eventually, she asked me to saw most of the straight section off so they weren't so visible because she got used to holding on the hoods and didn't use the long straight bits.
After about a year, I fitted a pair of normal-everyday brake levers.

Top Bottom