Made a mistake with my road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ibby22

Ibby22

Unfortunately I always have some "bits" left over that I just can't remember where they came from!

jimboalee

threebikesmcginty said:
Relatively straightforward job, time should be allowed to include for the following:

Go and make tea - 5 minutes.
Drink tea - 15 minutes.
Sit staring into the middle distance - 40 minutes.
Haul self out of said chair with world weary sigh - 2 minutes.
Scratch backside - 5 minutes + 5 minutes.
Look at bike with disdain - 20 minutes.
Sucking of air through teeth - 3 minutes.
Shake head - 2 minutes.
Look round longingly at chair - 10 minutes.
Drink tea - 15 minutes.
Toilet break - 1 hour.
General elsing - 2 hours.
Lunch break - 1 hour.
Post lunch break contemplation - 30 minutes.
Post post lunch break contemplation - 30 minutes.
Drink tea - 15 minutes.
Scratch backside - 5 minutes.
Fix levers to bike - 30 minutes including swearing.
Drink tea - 15 minutes.

Total time allowed 8 hours and 22 minutes not including hours spent on-line sourcing levers.

The difference between a professional sportsman and an Engineer is...

The professional sportsman makes something very difficult look incredibly easy.

brokenbetty

Über Member
Ibby22 said:
Yes I'm only a little person at 5" 2" :biggrin:

I think it is the reach, I have to really stretch to reach them and as I'm use to an upright cycling position I just don't feel as if I can get to the brakes quickly on my daily commute.

Thanks for your replies so far and I will look at the lever things.

Ibby

Hi Ibby

I'm about your height and know exactly what you mean about the stretch.

I fitted these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=41921 which are designed for small hands and that made a big difference. I also started pedalling with the ball of my foot and that seemed to shift everything a little forward so my hands rested more comfortably near the levers.

Finally, road brakes just don't have the same sudden stop as MTB brakes. It took me a while to trust mine and get used to how much squeeze to use.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
brokenbetty said:
Hi Ibby

I fitted these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=41921 which are designed for small hands and that made a big difference. I also started pedalling with the ball of my foot and that seemed to shift everything a little forward so my hands rested more comfortably near the levers.

I use those levers on my winter bike - an old 525 steel Peugeot with down tube shifters - You cannot replace Tiagra Shifters with them, they are brake levers ONLY. (Recommended - good value and very comfortable - I still spend 95% of the time on the hoods/tops however.)

brokenbetty

Über Member
youngoldbloke said:
I use those levers on my winter bike - an old 525 steel Peugeot with down tube shifters - You cannot replace Tiagra Shifters with them, they are brake levers ONLY. (Recommended - good value and very comfortable - I still spend 95% of the time on the hoods/tops however.)

Oh yeah, sorry. I forgot about those new fangled handlebar shifters :biggrin:

Top Bottom