Made a mistake with my road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rh100

Ibby22 said:
Yes I'm only a little person at 5" 2" :angel:

I think it is the reach, I have to really stretch to reach them and as I'm use to an upright cycling position I just don't feel as if I can get to the brakes quickly on my daily commute.

Thanks for your replies so far and I will look at the lever things.

Ibby

Just to give you an idea, the levers look like mine in this thread
https://www.cyclechat.net/

the existing cable is interrupted by these, instead of having extra cables etc, they don't cost too much to buy.

OP
OP
Ibby22

Ibby22

Really appreciate all the replies, just going to the cycle shop in Chester (best selection of parts) to see if I can get some of those levers. Pics were great, were they hard to fit?

Ibby

Zippy

I can not get use to them and I'm thinking it is becoming dangerous as I can't or won't reach for the brakes instinctively. :angel:

I know exactly what you mean! I bought my first road bike having ridden a Raleigh Chopper for years before. I didn't know how to balance on hte new racer handlebars so I started myself off down a long hill thinking the steady speed would keep me upright and I would work out how to change grip as I progressed.

Well the first thing I learned was a road bike has a lower rolling resistance than a Raleigh Chopper and the machine freewheeled like oil on water down the hill, which gave me less time to work the next thing out - how to change grips to grab the brakes.

I didn't have the courage or knowledge to grab the brakes from my top grip and so I watched the T-junction kerb at the bottom of the hill as it got closer, hit the kerb square on and freewheeled painfully across the grass the other side of the kerb with painful groin and badly buckled front wheel and forks.

I've worke it out now and actually miss not having them on my MTB commuter as I like being able to lay down over the frame, which my MTB won't allow.

My next bike will be a Crosser as I like dirt trail riding on my way to work, but miss the commuter comfort of a roadster.

rh100

Ibby22 said:
Really appreciate all the replies, just going to the cycle shop in Chester (best selection of parts) to see if I can get some of those levers. Pics were great, were they hard to fit?

Ibby

They were not too difficult, mine had instructions with them. I was lucky that I had all the bar tape off and was replacing the cable and cable housing anyway, so just fitted them to the bars and fitted new cable etc to suit, rather than trying to fit to existing cable etc. The cable goes through the lever so cutting the housing and rerouting the cable is needed. I imagine if you are ok with bike maintenance it wouldn't be too hard. I can't see an LBS charging too much to do it, depends on your experience and confidence I suppose.

The awkward bit I found was getting the new bit of housing from the right hand lever to wrap around to the cable hanger underneath the handlebars, it either need a big loop or a very short right angle loop, I opted for the short loop. I don't think more modern brakes have this hanger though so may not be an issue for you.

Have yet to test them properly, my first time on drop bars since I was a teenager which is why I put these on, same as you I'm not confident with the drop levers, hopefully will get out this weekend on it.

I paid about £27 from the LBS for the levers, but they are cheaper online, make sure you get the right size for your bars, and I think my type were only compatible with brakes that have the cable coming from underneath the bar tape already.

Norm

Ibby22 said:
... were they hard to fit?

Ibby
Hmmm... I'd go with "not really". Which means that I'm glad that I did mine with some very close support from someone who does them every day, although, having seen how they were fitted, I'd have no hesitation in fitting another pair.

You might need new cables as well, depending how much surplus is left on yours. You'll also be cutting the outers so you might need a couple of cable stops to tidy the ends up. Those shouldn't add much to the cost, though.

OP
OP
Ibby22

Ibby22

Chicken out of fitting them myself, so went round the corner to another LBS and he will fit them for £20 plus parts, which I think is good as it would take me ages.

He also checked all the measurements and said the bike fits me fine just need to bring the saddle slightly forward, which you suggested, and raise the seat post very slightly. All minimal adjustments.

Got to wait till he comes back off holiday and then I will try the new and improved bike :biggrin: He let me try a bike with the added levers and it just felt so much safer to me which is what I want as you all know those roads can be murder out there. ;)

Don't give up on the proper brakes and riding on the hoods though.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Crackle said:
Don't give up on the proper brakes and riding on the hoods though.
+1 - IME 95+% of time spent on the hoods, fingers on the levers, would find it very strange to use those levers. Check out the racing men (ITV 4 Friday 7pm) - most of them ride much of the time on the hoods, its only really when the hammers down that you're on the drops, or getting aero into the wind, or downhill.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Ibby22 said:
Chicken out of fitting them myself, so went round the corner to another LBS and he will fit them for £20 plus parts, which I think is good as it would take me ages.

He also checked all the measurements and said the bike fits me fine just need to bring the saddle slightly forward, which you suggested, and raise the seat post very slightly. All minimal adjustments.

Got to wait till he comes back off holiday and then I will try the new and improved bike :sad: He let me try a bike with the added levers and it just felt so much safer to me which is what I want as you all know those roads can be murder out there. :sad:

see if he'll let you watch the work, it's a good way to learn

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Relatively straightforward job, time should be allowed to include for the following:

Go and make tea - 5 minutes.
Drink tea - 15 minutes.
Sit staring into the middle distance - 40 minutes.
Haul self out of said chair with world weary sigh - 2 minutes.
Scratch backside - 5 minutes + 5 minutes.
Look at bike with disdain - 20 minutes.
Sucking of air through teeth - 3 minutes.
Shake head - 2 minutes.
Look round longingly at chair - 10 minutes.
Drink tea - 15 minutes.
Toilet break - 1 hour.
General elsing - 2 hours.
Lunch break - 1 hour.
Post lunch break contemplation - 30 minutes.
Post post lunch break contemplation - 30 minutes.
Drink tea - 15 minutes.
Scratch backside - 5 minutes.
Fix levers to bike - 30 minutes including swearing.
Drink tea - 15 minutes.

Total time allowed 8 hours and 22 minutes not including hours spent on-line sourcing levers.

rh100

threebikesmcginty said:
Relatively straightforward job, time should be allowed to include for the following:

Drink tea - 15 minutes.
Shake head - 2 minutes.
Drink tea - 15 minutes.
Toilet break - 1 hour.
Lunch break - 1 hour.
Drink tea - 15 minutes.
Drink tea - 15 minutes.

Total time allowed 8 hours and 22 minutes not including hours spent on-line sourcing levers.

Sounds like a master mechanic to me ;)

threebikesmcginty said:

Drink tea - 15 minutes.
Shake head - 2 minutes.
Drink tea - 15 minutes.
Toilet break - 1 hour.
Lunch break - 1 hour.
Drink tea - 15 minutes.
Drink tea - 15 minutes.

That's me fixing changing an inner tube! :ohmy:;)

Top Bottom