Making Models From Scratch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
It's a Honda RA272, as driven by Richie Ginther in the 1965 F1 World Championship.
the 'cigar on wheels' is my favourite style of F1 car.... what they gained in performance from putting loads of spoilers on, they lost in aesthetics.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
the 'cigar on wheels' is my favourite style of F1 car.... what they gained in performance from putting loads of spoilers on, they lost in aesthetics.

Whereas mine are the cars from the late 80s, after they pulled the plug on the turbos. Back in the day where cars didn't all look near enough the same... I just loved the Ross Brawn-penned Arrows A11. :wub:

MontyVeda

Whereas mine are the cars from the late 80s, after they pulled the plug on the turbos. Back in the day where cars didn't all look near enough the same... I just loved the Ross Brawn-penned Arrows A11. :wub:
no idea why the 6 wheeler didn't catch on...

Tyrrell-P34-ft.jpg

MontyVeda

I've taken a break from it, because I've been really struggling with the glue allergy. :sad:

The solution is to work outside, but that's been nigh on impossible. :rain: Hopefully I should get back to it soon. I do have some bits that I'll post once I've got them off my camera. :blush:
bit like me and woodwork.. the dust really gets on my chest so after a couple of days making dust I keep having to stop for a few weeks.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Bit of a thread resurrection, but after fair old break, I've started working on the Higman again.

Some of that's been down to other things eating into my spare time, but a good deal of it was my modelling inexperience leading me down a couple of cul-de-sacs and me then stumped as to how to move on. Of course, with everything now being open since I last posted, I finally got round to having a good mosey round the model department of the local cycle / toy / haberdashery place in search of inspiration.

That mostly came in the form of their architectural modelling supplies - namely miniature plastic versions of assorted tubing, box section and beams. I did look at their selection of balsa, but it's too flimsy for a ham-fisted modeller like myself. I'd wanted to make all the parts on the car from scratch, but sometimes one has to be realistic and know when it's best to simply swallow one's pride and take the idiot-proof option - I learned the hard way that trying to drill holes in very thin sections of laminated card is an exercise in frustration.

So I bought a few lengths of plastic box section with which I can now finish off the ironwork and the front part of the roll cage. I can just feed any reinforcing wire through the center of the sections and fix it in place with epoxy without needing to go anywhere near a drill. Simples. And while I was in there, I had an impulse buy of a sheet of fine wire mesh. I can see that helping to solve the bodywork issue for the driver's cab, and it'll also be useful in making the seat. Namely bend it to shape, and then cover it in papier mache.

Someone here on CC recommended Roket card glue in lieu of superglue, so I acquired a bottle of that to try. Have to say, it's an incredibly effective adhesive - you only need a tiddly bead of glue to stick things together, and when it sticks, it really does stick. Downside, it dries flexible rather than rigid, so while it's very good at what it does, unfortunately it's not a viable alternative to superglue. So I will still have to soldier on and deal with the allergy side of things.

In terms of actual making, I've put the finishing touches to the rear wing that was in the works when I stopped, and I've made a steering wheel (Ford Cortina Mk2 style), steering column and a bracket to hold all of that to the interior bulkhead. Should hopefully get some pics up soon.

Top Bottom