England : Cheshire Manchester 100 Cycle Chat Team Outing - 02/09/2012 - Sub six hours ride time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I managed to complete my first 100 miler today on the Man 100, thanks for the nutrition tips guys it got me through the ride in one piece.

I was fortunate to meet a lad who lives near me who is slightly more accomplished on the bike and drafting each other we managed to do the ride in 5hrs 24 minutes. Not including 3 water stops and a mechanical when Steve ripped his tyre wall on a pot hole.

Made up with that time for my first century.

That's an amazing time for a 1st century ride. All my early ones were done at a much slower pace of about 12mp which left me feeling on top of the world at the end. Today's ride was hard work and left me feeling as if I had been run over by a steam roller but that's not a bad thing, I enjoyed the effort.

danielstucke

Über Member
The random in the HTC top was me :smile:

Massive thanks guys - had a cracking day out, first ride over about 65 miles so to do it at 19mph+ was absolutely awesome.

My bike is in the cellar still covered in all that muck, and the BB is making nasty noises. I'll see what colour the HTC top is in a minute - doubt the first go through the washer will be enough!

Oh, and I got home to Roast Lamb - winner - not bad seeing as the wife is 8 months pregnant!!

If whoever has the most accurate gpx of our ride could send me it that would be fab. I'm loath to stick mine up on Strava as iPhone conked out at 89 miles

Cheers,

Dan

That's an amazing time for a 1st century ride. All my early ones were done at a much slower pace of about 12mp which left me feeling on top of the world at the end. Today's ride was hard work and left me feeling as if I had been run over by a steam roller but that's not a bad thing, I enjoyed the effort.

Skol i must admit i am not exactly "fresh" after that ride and can see a few days off the bike to let the legs get going again.

Its certainly made my mind up to get out on some group rides more often, its fantastic moving along so quickly by sharing the load with others. I need to hunt out a local club me thinks.

And if you guys do go for similar in the future keep me posted!

Cheers

Andy

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I wonder if the old guy on the old bike with all his gear in a carrier bag hanging of one end of his handlebars is back yet? He must have been at least 75 and had all the confidence in the world that he was going to do 100 miles at 10 mph and in 10 hrs. It's that attitude that won the war you know!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Thanks guys for a good day. I was good to meet a few more forum members, even if some of it was done at silly speeds at the start. The cafe stop was a good one too.

And yes - the chase back from the puncture at 60 miles half-killed me. Thanks to SportMonkey who helped change the inner tube and pace me back - I started to drop off about 84 miles as I'd punctured again :cursing:

Rather than change it I decided to keep pumping it up and still got back in decent time - but you'd all gone by then.

Thanks guys for a good day. I was good to meet a few more forum members, even if some of it was done at silly speeds at the start. The cafe stop was a good one too.

And yes - the chase back from the puncture at 60 miles half-killed me. Thanks to whoever helped change the inner tube and pace me back (Schneil / SportMonkey ?) - I started to drop off about 84 miles as I'd punctured again :cursing:

Rather than change it I decided to keep pumping it up and still got back in decent time - but you'd all gone by then.

It was me. That chase was fun though, if a little brutal. Hard work steaming past people without a group.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sounds like fun, apart from the muck! :thumbsup:

I saw some nasty accidents over the years on a right hand bend by a farm. There always seemed to be slurry on the road just as you came round the bend. I think a rider broke his pelvis one year coming off there. I don't know how the farmer got away with it year after year.

Svendo

Guru
I had a good day out on the ride. albeit the 100k route. I was riding most of the time with a group from work, some older tourer types and some newby girls, one of whom couldn't ride a bike five weeks ago! I did ride to the start from Tod (27 miles) and back so had 115 for the day. I got a punc***e on the way in at Littleborough, when it was still properly wet. Grrr. Got there late and set off about 9.45. Pushed on a bit until I caought up with the work group after about 15 miles, then rode along with them at a nice sedate pace until I had my second bloody punc***e.

Got it fxed OK, stopped at the next feed stop and bought a new tube off a sensible LBS bloke. Then asked his mate if I could borrow the track pump. He was useless, and actually ended up letting more air out than he got in, but it was just too awkward to say your crap let me do it. I swear he was pissed. Stopped at the next pub and the different LBS stand there got it to 110 in seconds and off I went to catch up again.

Found them again after about 25 miles, and at a breif regrouping stop decided to stop at the Turnpike feedstop for the next food and tea. I decided to go ahead and then wait for them. I got on the tail of a group that MAY have been some of you sub 6 hours lot. I got a bit carried away and ended up totally missing the stop by a good ten miles, and losing the group whilst checking the map.
Pushed on to the finish. As I remembered from previous times the run in gets more fraught as traffic is held up by slower riders and in turn holds up faster riders. Also witnessed the usual dodgy filtering and what I think is discourteous behaviour (a car waits patiently for half a mile to pass a cyclist then at the first lights they needlessly filter in front so the poor sod has to do it all again.) Got back to the park about 2.40pm

Had a delicious and much needed dog burger at the park. Noticed I was sitting next to the group I'd tagged along with behind the blue tent next to the food stalls. I had the yellow and blue 'Santa Fe' top and was on my black bike. Then rode home, which was a bit of a drag as not really hilly but does climb a bit.

Top Bottom