Manchester - Llandudno: Saturday May 13

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Well that was easily settled. My suggestion would be to try and do as we did last year, which was leave Eureka as a reasonable sized group, and then split in flint, would be easier navigating the dual carriageway in a larger group. It's not a bad road, but I can easily see why some would be uncomfortable.

Edit: plus the hilly/flat groups can run together then.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
That very short section is in Pensarn. It is less than 50 metres long but when you approach it, it looks like a wall! Many people walk it, enough young ones. When I get to the top, I am completely knackered but then, I am not as fit as you , youngsters.I look forward to seeing how you tackle it and how fast.:whistle:
Even arriving at speed at the bottom doesn't take you up very far, believe me.

si_c

Guru
That very short section is in Pensarn. It is less than 50 metres long but when you approach it, it looks like a wall! Many people walk it, enough young ones. When I get to the top, I am completely knackered but then, I am not as fit as you , youngsters.I look forward to seeing how you tackle it and how fast.:whistle:
Sounds about how I remember it. I was really not happy, and that was with a 34/30 gear. This year I'll hopefully be rocking a 32/34, so much lower :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think I just found it ... Very easy to miss when you looking out for bigger climbs. It seems to go up about 13 metres in only 55 so roughly 23% - yes, I bet that IS a shock to the system!

Ha ha - I just checked some numbers ... even if I could put about 200 W into my singlespeed, I would only be climbing at about 3 km/hr and it would take me nearly 1 minute to do that tiny climb at a cadence of only 1 pedal rev per 6 seconds. A less scientific translation: No Way, Man! :laugh:

gavroche

I think I just found it ... Very easy to miss when you looking out for bigger climbs. It seems to go up about 13 metres in only 55 so roughly 23% - yes, I bet that IS a shock to the system!

Ha ha - I just checked some numbers ... even if I could put about 200 W into my singlespeed, I would only be climbing at about 3 km/hr and it would take me nearly 1 minute to do that tiny climb at a cadence of only 1 pedal rev per 6 seconds. A less scientific translation: No Way, Man! :laugh:
So I take it you are going to walk it? What about the one going into Llandudno at 10%? It is a bit longer and get steeper at the top.

ColinJ

So I take it you are going to walk it? What about the one going into Llandudno at 10%? It is a bit longer and get steeper at the top.
I wouldn't on my Cannondale, but on the s/s - yes!

I've just realised that I hadn't allowed for hitting the sharp climb at speed. My numbers were from a cold start. I'll try again and work out how fast I would have to be going at the bottom of the climb to be able to just get to the top. It would probably be something stupid like 80 km/hr ...

10% for a significant distance would kill my legs on 52/19 but it might just be possible for me.

I certainly will not be going anywhere near that Orme climb: laugh: (It's a pity because it is the sort of thing I like on low gears.)

gavroche

I wouldn't on my Cannondale, but on the s/s - yes!

I've just realised that I hadn't allowed for hitting the sharp climb at speed. My numbers were from a cold start. I'll try again and work out how fast I would have to be going at the bottom of the climb to be able to just get to the top. It would probably be something stupid like 80 km/hr ...

10% for a significant distance would kill my legs on 52/19 but it might just be possible for me.

I certainly will not be going anywhere near that Orme climb: laugh: (It's a pity because it is the sort of thing I like on low gears.)
I wouldn't even dream of doing the Orme climb, it is a real killer and only fit for super fit riders or pros.

ColinJ

I wouldn't even dream of doing the Orme climb, it is a real killer and only fit for super fit riders or pros.
I have a 'magic' 28/30 grovelling gear on my Cannondale CAAD 5 ... :whistle:

Actually, I just checked that climb. It looks like it goes up 180 metres in 1.8 kms so an average of 10% but with a few ramps of about 15-16%. Definitely too hard for me without my low gears, but not too bad otherwise. I wouldn't be able to ride up it quickly but I wouldn't have a problem spinning my way up at a walking pace.

You need to fit some lower gears to your bike! :okay:

Jaykun85

there any long stay parking in llandudno .. as may take car up there to drive back when i survive the bike ride :smile:

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I have a 'magic' 28/30 grovelling gear on my Cannondale CAAD 5 ... :whistle:

Actually, I just checked that climb. It looks like it goes up 180 metres in 1.8 kms so an average of 10% but with a few ramps of about 15-16%. Definitely too hard for me without my low gears, but not too bad otherwise. I wouldn't be able to ride up it quickly but I wouldn't have a problem spinning my way up at a walking pace.

You need to fit some lower gears to your bike! :okay:

The Orme climb from the chip shop is extremely tough with extended stretches 20+%. It would be a struggle with my easiest 34/27. No way Ill be trying....particularly after a large haddock

Top Bottom