Manchester - Llandudno: Saturday May 13

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
There's a very similar vibe Pete.
The differences are that it's not dark (Really Sherlock ?) and the group is bigger so it splits up more than a FNRttC. That said, you'll almost certainly find yourself riding in a group of like minded souls so it'll be great.
nickyboy's light touch organisation works really well.
I'd love to ride again this year but my shifts don't allow it.

Have you seen that there's a Manchester-Morecambe FNRttC on 4th August this year ? :whistle:

Yes, the way I try to run it is we all stick together as a large group until at least the Weaverham stop which is about 25 miles. After that we tend to drift into smaller groups for the run to Eureka café. That works well as it staggers the arrival and thus the food ordering. Everyone eats at differing paces so folk tend to leave Eureka in small groups. It also depends on whether you intend to do the flat or hilly versions after Eureka.

We all (well pretty much all) then regroup at the Fish & Chips where we say our goodbyes to those heading home and the rest of us repair to the pub for the evening

@Andrew Br thanks for the nice comment re organisation. It's a group ride so necessarily there is a bit of cajoling to keep everyone together but it's supposed to be fun so I'm relaxed if folk want to do bits of the ride, ride fast, ride slow etc etc. All I ever ask is the faster riders look out for slower riders in case they need a bit of help

GuyBoden

Guru
@nickyboy Is there a downloadable GPS file for this ride route?

Thanks
Guy

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

si_c

Guru
Just as an FYI for those who may be interested, over the easter weekend I'm likely to go for a decent sized ride if I can, so I'm thinking to do the second part of the hillier route from Eureka onwards, heading back along the flatter route. It's more or less the same as my regular fair weather loop, stopping for lunch at the Hub. From where I live the whole loop is around 170km, as I don't actually pass by Eureka on the way out, I go through Chester on the Greenway.

If anyone is interested in joining me they are more than welcome just let me know, it's most likely to be the Friday.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Just as an FYI for those who may be interested, over the easter weekend I'm likely to go for a decent sized ride if I can, so I'm thinking to do the second part of the hillier route from Eureka onwards, heading back along the flatter route. It's more or less the same as my regular fair weather loop, stopping for lunch at the Hub. From where I live the whole loop is around 170km, as I don't actually pass by Eureka on the way out, I go through Chester on the Greenway.

If anyone is interested in joining me they are more than welcome just let me know, it's most likely to be the Friday.

Good stuff. I'm away I'm afraid but I will also be doing a reccy of the hillier bit as it isn't quite the same as last year but I will do it some other day. Please let me know what you think in any case

GuyBoden

Guru
@GuyBoden

I should have asked....are you thinking of joining the ride? If you are I'll stick you on the "Expressions of Interest" list on post#1

It would be a nice ride, but alas, I'm on holiday.

Buck

Guru
@nickyboy

Sorry if I've missed it but for those staying, what are you doing re a change of clothes/overnight bag? I don't fancy a rucksack for 100 miles and no panniers so was thinking I might have to send a parcel ahead!

PS at the minute it's looking like me and Gil and maybe his friend Nick on his new bike!

si_c

Guru
@nickyboy

Sorry if I've missed it but for those staying, what are you doing re a change of clothes/overnight bag? I don't fancy a rucksack for 100 miles and no panniers so was thinking I might have to send a parcel ahead!

PS at the minute it's looking like me and Gil and maybe his friend Nick on his new bike!

Speak to @doughnut, I think Mrs Doughnut may be driving down and meeting there, in which case you may be able to persuade her to carry yours if you ask nicely.

I carried a rucksack last year, if you have a good one you don't really notice it when riding, mine weighed about 8kg last year including full change of clothes, batteries, food, chargers and so on. I went a bit overboard tbh. @nickyboy carried some flipflops in his back pocket and I'm pretty sure that was it, so two extremes you can work towards!

doughnut

Veteran
Yes, Mrs doughnut will be driving from Piccadilly to Llandudno again this year, so if anyone has bags they want to sling in the boot of the car they are welcome. Closer to the time I will post about our arrangements but we usually park up in the short stay car park at Piccadilly for 15 mins just before the riders set off. She will be at the chip shop at the end of the ride to hand the bags back.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Yes, Mrs doughnut will be driving from Piccadilly to Llandudno again this year, so if anyone has bags they want to sling in the boot of the car they are welcome. Closer to the time I will post about our arrangements but we usually park up in the short stay car park at Piccadilly for 15 mins just before the riders set off. She will be at the chip shop at the end of the ride to hand the bags back.

Mrs Doughnut is the greatest!

I will definitely be availing myself of this. Bag drop off Saturday am, ride unfettered to Llandudno. Mrs D gives me back the bag. Next day I'll leave my bag at the Travelodge and go for another ride in N Wales (weather and hangover permitting) and then pick it up and train back to Manchester. Perfecto

Buck

Guru

That's brilliant - thank you - I might have to buy you a kebab as a thank you!

Thanks again

Cupotea

If there is enough room I would be very grateful!

Top Bottom