Manchester - Llandudno: Saturday May 13

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mike3121

I wont bother with Glympse, I will just arrive at Eureka at around 10.am and eat bacon buttys until you all arrive :hungry:

si_c

Guru
I wont bother with Glympse, I will just arrive at Eureka at around 10.am and eat bacon buttys until you all arrive :hungry:
Haha that's tempting. Just realised the trains are off that Saturday meaning my travel arrangements are yet again subject to disruption.

si_c

Guru
Manchester - Llandudno wouldn't be the same without you having some last minute train issue.

Weren't you hungover last year and missed the train or something?
That was Scarborough, and if you will schedule these rides after beer festivals, this may be a common occurrence.

Edit: for Llandudno last year the train was delayed if i remember rightly, and i had planned to get breakfast in Liverpool, but ended up not eating at all until the Devonshire bakery, where i promptly ate too much.

mike3121

Haha that's tempting. Just realised the trains are off that Saturday meaning my travel arrangements are yet again subject to disruption.

are you talking about merseyrail? there is a bike bus that is running to Liverpool but not sure what time it starts on a Saturday morning, there is the option of riding through Birkenhead tunnel

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Let's hope the wind won't be too bad. I did 10 miles from Gronant to Towyn yesterday, and oh my was it harsh. 10 mph for 10 miles, followed by 20 mph back (MTB with fat knobblies).

si_c

Guru
are you talking about merseyrail? there is a bike bus that is running to Liverpool but not sure what time it starts on a Saturday morning, there is the option of riding through Birkenhead tunnel
Bike bus starts at 6am, so I'd have to get that one to get the right train. That's the option I'm leaning towards at the moment. Either that or a taxi from Hamilton Square.

si_c

Guru
Bike bus starts at 6am, so I'd have to get that one to get the right train. That's the option I'm leaning towards at the moment. Either that or a taxi from Hamilton Square.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hope you don't get too wet
Only for the 1st 20 miles when I was hesitant to set off into the rain and then for the last 30 miles once the wind and distance had already eroded my morale! The bit in Cheshire in between was moderately pleasant on the whole.
I saw @I like Skol in Little Bollingon (near the narrow footbridge that goes past Dunham Massey)
Yep, bumped into @400bhp shortly after passing The Swan with Two Nicks and stopped for a Chinwag which was good as we haven't bumped into each other for a while. Also pretty sure I saw @Pennine-Paul plodding through the soft south Manchester suburbs on Broadstone Rd near Reddish on a white single speed.
Let's hope the wind won't be too bad. I did 10 miles from Gronant to Towyn yesterday, and oh my was it harsh. 10 mph for 10 miles, followed by 20 mph back (MTB with fat knobblies).
The moment I turned onto the final coast run at Talacre I was blasted by the same said wind and my speed fell to just a touch above 10mph. When I joined the seafront path at Prestatyn sailing club it was even worse and my speed dipped below 10mph. All I could do was keep my head down and watch the final 12 miles tick off on the Garmin until I arrived at my destination cold, tired and wringing wet.

A few days have passed since then and despite ample liquid medication the memories are still painful and raw!
All I can do is warn anyone thinking of doing this ride to reconsider, DON'T DO IT!

On the other hand my recce ride didn't turn up any problems, all the roads and paths are there and ready to go. :okay:

mike3121

The moment I turned onto the final coast run at Talacre I was blasted by the same said wind and my speed fell to just a touch above 10mph. When I joined the seafront path at Prestatyn sailing club it was even worse and my speed dipped below 10mph. All I could do was keep my head down and watch the final 12 miles tick off on the Garmin until I arrived at my destination cold, tired and wringing wet.

A few days have passed since then and despite ample liquid medication the memories are still painful and raw!
All I can do is warn anyone thinking of doing this ride to reconsider, DON'T DO IT!

On the other hand my recce ride didn't turn up any problems, all the roads and paths are there and ready to go. :okay:

sounds a lot like 2015, oh joyful memories

doughnut

Veteran
Yes, but that massive plate of fish and chips tastes so much better after being wind/rain/sand-blasted for a couple of hours.
Bring it on!

Top Bottom