Manchester - Llandudno: Saturday May 13

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mythste

Veteran
Yeah wind was an issue last year too and will be this year as well I imagine.

On the upside, you can absolutely fly on the way back. I've yet to decide whether I will ride back same day or wait till the next day as per last year. Either way I'll be riding back as that's the easiest bit for me.

That tailwind on the way back to connahs quey - I think I averaged 30mph for about 12 miles. Never gonna be able to do that again!

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I know everyone's looking forward to the ride but can I ask for one thing please...

Any discussion regarding the route I've chosen; can we do that via PM please? I don't want to clog up the thread. I'm happy to listen to comments on the route and suggestions on how it could be improved. But by PM please

straas

Matt
Not sure if everyone's aware but eureka is cash only, so don't order an espresso and a cake and stand there like a pillock with your card in hand. (...... I heard from a mate :whistle:)

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Ha ha - there is no way that I would do that Great Orme climb on a singlespeed!

I might take you up on the offer of a rerun at some point. I'll try and make the 13th but it depends on those birthday plans.

I'm quite interested to see this 'escape route' from Manchester to Cheshire. I can get to Manchester Victoria very easily but don't know a decent way out of the city centre so I am interested to see what nickyboy has come up with. I would ride in Cheshire more often if I knew a reasonable route to get there.

The escape route out was provided by local @400bhp and is a winner. There is about a mile or so of genuinely urban cycling but at 8am on a Saturday it's not very busy. After that there are 9 miles of distinctly suburban and there are even some rural bits until we get to Altrincham. After that we're in the countryside. Definitely the best way from Piccadilly to Cheshire

ozboz

Guru
This sounds like something for me to have a go at ! And a good excuse to visit the Bro' up in Oldham !
Is there a need to be in one of the cycling mobs to have insurance etc ?

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Based on the Weather being better than last year (guaranteed by nick i believe) , i may be so bold sat in my arm chair as i say this, after the ride has finished, to have a crack at getting to the top of the Great Orme, not straight up Old Road as that's a one way coming down , but up Ty-Gwyn Rd , never been up there before but looking at google maps it looks like Mont Ventuex with grass, with a big gear on the back, walking shoes at the ready and fish and chips in the pannier, what ever could go wrong.
upload_2017-1-21_10-42-0.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
This sounds like something for me to have a go at ! And a good excuse to visit the Bro' up in Oldham !
Is there a need to be in one of the cycling mobs to have insurance etc ?

Nope...no insurance needed. All that I will ask nearer the date is that all participants confirm to me in writing that they have read the ride notes etc and that they will take responsibility for themselves on the ride. So if you fall off or knock someone off or ride into a pedestrian or whatever then that's down to you, not me

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Based on the Weather being better than last year (guaranteed by nick i believe) , i may be so bold sat in my arm chair as i say this, as to have a crack at getting to the top of the Great Orme, not straight up Old Road as that's a one way coming down , but up Ty-Gwyn Rd , never been up there before but looking at google maps it looks like Mont Ventuex with grass, with a big gear on the back, walking shoes at the ready and fish and chips in the pannier, what ever could go wrong.
View attachment 334227

Ty Gwyn isn't really rideable, it's just too steep

The best way is to go around the back of the Orme and then ride up St Tudno's road. There are some fabulous hairpins. It's a hard enough climb but definitely doable. After that you can freewheel all the way back to the Tram Station

https://goo.gl/maps/f3rQgbtX66N2

2017-01-21 (1).png

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Not sure if everyone's aware but eureka is cash only, so don't order an espresso and a cake and stand there like a pillock with your card in hand. (...... I heard from a mate :whistle:)

There is a cash point in the nearby pub, but you're best bringing some with you. Also note that although the F&C shop has a restaurant it is cash only too. DAMHIKT.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Ty Gwyn isn't really rideable, it's just too steep

The best way is to go around the back of the Orme and then ride up St Tudno's road. There are some fabulous hairpins. It's a hard enough climb but definitely doable. After that you can freewheel all the way back to the Tram Station

Sounds good to me

Wobblers

Euthermic
Plan A was the biggest fark-up. It might have involved you charging some batteries...

Harumph. I think you'll find that I was never lost, even without memory cards in Garmins. I had absolutely no worries about finding my way (home). And Plan D was Rhyl via St Asaph, for which I had maps, only I had the feeling I'd have faced a unceasing barrage of whining if I'd suggested it...

I'm pondering going off piste that way this year. Though naturally that option will be for the adventurous non-whiners only :whistle:

Top Bottom