Manchester - The Wirral (Christmas Eve)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yozza

Morning,

I'm considering doing a ride from Manchester to Wallasey on the The Wirral this Christmas Eve. Thought it would at least give me an excuse to indulge myself over the following days.

Setting off from South Manchester, but just wondered if people have done this before, and what a good route would be, roads to avoid, etc.

I assume the East Lancs (A580) is a nightmare.

I was thinking, through Warrington, via Partington, then down to Ellesmere Port via Frodsham.

About 50 miles I think.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, it's hardly an epic!

Cheers,

Yozza.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
The A580 is like a motorway so forget it.

Perhaps there's a route which follows the Manchester Ship Canal?

Depending on where in S Manc, head for just north of the airport, through Wythenshawe, then towards Ashley, past tatton Park, over the A556 at Bucklow Hill, then the lanes to High Leigh. Then a bit of the A50 (not too bad, nice and wide), then turn off at Sworton Heath back onto the lanes, past the prison.
I then head south towards Antrobus and Comberbach before heading home, but if you head west at Comberbach you'll be going towards Frodsham.

Don't head into warrington or near Runcorn, it'll spoil the ride.

The lanes in that part of the world are absolutely blissful. Bit muddy though.

Good luck and enjoy you mince pie at the end!

OP
OP
Y

Yozza

Cheers for that. I'll avoid the A580 then.

Think I'm going to stick to roads (smaller ones if possible). The only bad bit looks to be the A56 south of Warrington, I've no idea what that road's like though.

I'm just on a road bike, so want to avoid any tow paths (last tow path I did I got a puncture after 5 miles!).

Yozza.

OP
OP
Y

Yozza

I'm setting off from Chorlton, so that looks do-able, although it heads a bit South East to start with.

My normal ride is down to Alderly Edge way, so I know the roads down that way are really nice. I've not done many of the lanes down that way, and don't really fancy getting a map out every few miles. Are they pretty easy to navigate?

I think I might bite the bullet and do a bit of the A56 to start with and head towards Lymm, Appleton Thom and Daresbury before heading down past Frodsham.

Think I'll deserve my Christmas Lunch the next day!

If you're on the A56, then before you get into Altrincham, as you go under the railway bridge in Broadheath, turn right at the next lights. Past the new housing estate and then the lanes until the A6144 just before Lymm. Nicer then the A56 thro Alty.

OP
OP
Y

Yozza

Cheers,

The route seems to be coming together quite nicely now.

I might pick up the A6144 a bit earlier, just in Sale, and follow that through Partington to get down to Lymm. Except for the small bit of A56 south of Daresbury, it looks like quite a nice route.

Yozza.

cbgb

My daily commute runs from Daresbury to Frodsham. A good route to avoid the busy bit of the A56 south of Daresbury is to cut off through Moore Village, through Sandymoor, marina village (avoid Windmill Hill) then back onto the A56 at Sutton Weaver. This route is really pleasant and will be dead quite on Christmas Eve. Sutton Weaver A56 through Frodsham, Helsby is ok. A5117, Elton through Ellesmere Port may be busy

OP
OP
Y

Yozza

Thanks for the tips. I'm glad the A56 part isn't too bad, I thought that might be a busy section.

Biggest worry now is Ellesmere Port up to Wallasey.

I don't really fancy the A41 much, looks like a bleak and horrible dual carridgeway for a lot of it.

I was thinking of getting the A540 for a couple of miles, then picking up the B5151 all the way up through Birkenhead.

It's been a while since I've been on these roads though, so I've forgotten what they're like.

Yozza.

yenrod

cheadle hulme said:
If you're on the A56, then before you get into Altrincham, as you go under the railway bridge in Broadheath, turn right at the next lights. Past the new housing estate and then the lanes until the A6144 just before Lymm. Nicer then the A56 thro Alty.

I done this route on my way back from Manc'land in the Summer great roads these ! esp. by the canal into Lymm !

Yozza said:
Thanks for the tips. I'm glad the A56 part isn't too bad, I thought that might be a busy section.

Biggest worry now is Ellesmere Port up to Wallasey.

I don't really fancy the A41 much, looks like a bleak and horrible dual carridgeway for a lot of it.

I was thinking of getting the A540 for a couple of miles, then picking up the B5151 all the way up through Birkenhead.

It's been a while since I've been on these roads though, so I've forgotten what they're like.

Yozza.

The A41 is very very slightly downhill going 'south-eastish' - well thats what I reckon..having rode up AND down it..esp. by the junc. for the NW wales road...

The roads by ellesmere port can be traffic hell/nightmare...

Surprised I missed this thread when it was posted !

Wonder how Yozzer got on - wonder from his name if he is an exiled scouse' living in Manc'land.

OP
OP
Y

Yozza

How do,

Sorry for not replying earlier.

The ride was really good. The middle section (Frodsham) was pretty hard work because it's constant up and down, which is really energy sapping on a loaded bike.

Think I'll be doing it again at some point, but with no paniers this time!

In response, yeah, I'm in South Manhester (Chorlton). Hoping to get back into the saddle and get some mile under my belt (work is only 4 miles away) over the next few months, so I might see you about.

Not quite a scouser, but from the Wirral, and a Hughes too!

dodgy

I missed this thread originally, too. Might have been able to offer some advice on the Wirral part of your ride, but you've done it now ;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Same here - missed it....I live in the area, and have commuted from East Manchester to Appleton Thorn (South Warrington) - some great roads...... A56/A560 to Altrincham, then off past Dunham Massey etc.

Top Bottom