Manchester to Blackpool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

italiafirenze

World's Greatest Spy
I think sub 3 hours would be hard but not impossible. There are crowds of people along literally ever mile of the route. You never find yourself the only cyclist within sight. Given this; there is always some draft.

But that is as much a curse as a gift because sometimes you just can't get past the group doing 12 mph chatting away riding 4 abreast from kerb to centre line.

As I said earlier I did it in 3 hrs 38 last year and felt fine at the finish, certainly hadn't burnt any matches so I think I could easily shave 10 and maybe even 20 minutes from the overall time.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
It's not gonna be easy I agree, but I dont do easy. I am hitting an average of 18.5Mph - 19Mph on a 15 miles commute with 1000ft of climbing thrown in (Manc-Pool had a little over 2k ft last year and was pretty much ALL done by Bolton)

Last year I had a pace of 18 Mph average by Lytham, then my gear cable snapped, I was stuck in 53/11 through that KILLER of a wind (it was last year) and ended up with an average of 16.6Mph

The thing is, I felt fine, I just couldnt push hard enough through that wind in the gear I was in

the other part of this years plan, is to leave early, doing this tends to get you started with groups of club riders, last year I was in a group for less than 15 miles (as a constant) I agree that an average of 20Mph solo is damn hard, but if I can grab a group the WHOLE way, who knows.

Plus I'll get my cables checked the Saturday :-)

Wish me luck !!!!

perplexed

Guru
I'm in.

I haven't done this ride before, but my best time for a similar distance is 3 hours 44 minutes, so it depends on the profile I guess.

Does anyone know what the profile is by the way??

alans

black belt lounge lizard
The wind did me at St Annes last year, that stretch along the front went on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, well you get the idea :whistle:

Then just as we turned onto the promenade it started raining.

I enjoyed the same experience.Won't be doing it this year. It's the only time I've felt more at risk from other cyclists than motorists.

I enjoyed the same experience.Won't be doing it this year. It's the only time I've felt more at risk from other cyclists than motorists.

I know what you mean, too many 'fun'day cyclists riding 5 a breast from the kerb to the whiteline as previously another post mentioned. It annoyed me last year as I was trying for a time, but I'll be a 'fun'day rider myself this year, and I'll be sure to keep left for the benefit of faster riders :thumbsup:

I'm in.
I haven't done this ride before, but my best time for a similar distance is 3 hours 44 minutes, so it depends on the profile I guess.
Does anyone know what the profile is by the way??

They seem to tweak the route a bit year to year, but there's not too much in the way of climbing, a couple of short sharp suckers but nothing to make your calfs bleed IMHO :thumbsup:

italiafirenze

World's Greatest Spy
They seem to tweak the route a bit year to year, but there's not too much in the way of climbing, a couple of short sharp suckers but nothing to make your calfs bleed IMHO :thumbsup:

I think if 10 year olds on mountain bikes can manage it then it can't be too taxing.

I know we're all hard-core cycle people who write on a forum and everything, but I enjoy seeing "ordinary" folk just enjoying riding their bikes and the charity riders. It sometimes helps to remind me of why I cycle. It can be so easy to get carried away with power figures, miles covered and average speeds that I forget to enjoy myself.

All that said, sometimes the "racers" are the biggest idiots of the lot. If you want to go absolutely as fast as you can, maybe do it another day when there aren't thousands of other bikes on the road.

perplexed

Guru

Okey dokey, sounds ok!

I did 50 miles in the Peak District yesterday and felt pretty good (apart from one particular hill about which we will speak no more...:whistle: ). So hopefully all will be well on the day!

Okey dokey, sounds ok!

I did 50 miles in the Peak District yesterday and felt pretty good (apart from one particular hill about which we will speak no more...:whistle: ). So hopefully all will be well on the day!

If you can do 50 in the PD then you'll walk the M2B, well when I say walk I mean ride, argh! you know what I mean :whistle:

perplexed

Guru
If you can do 50 in the PD then you'll walk the M2B, well when I say walk I mean ride, argh! you know what I mean :whistle:

Phew, that's reassuring to hear!

I have no particular skill at all when it comes to hill climbing, but I do have a bit of an ability to let my mind wander whilst I'm grinding up 'em! Makes up for the lack of talent elsewhere... Think Forrest Gump running across the USA. :biggrin:

potsy

Rambler
Perfectly possible. I, and many other folk, do the Man 100 in just over 5 hours. :biggrin:

Just don't forget to ride back too ! - Plenty of folk doing that too.

But, we'll allow you an extra 30 mins for the ride back ;)

I did the ride last year for the first time, ride time of 4.15 but overall about 5 and a bit hours with a few stops, the wind was tough as others have mentioned, won't be bothering this time, bit of a faff getting back plus there are a lot of people out that look like they haven't ridden a bike since the previous years run and it shows with some of the daft things they do!!

Garz

Squat Member
Perfectly possible. I, and many other folk, do the Man 100 in just over 5 hours. :biggrin:

Just don't forget to ride back too ! - Plenty of folk doing that too.

I don't deny it isn't possible fossy, I just think for a solo effort that would be pretty taxing. If you had a group or was following a random bunch then not such a mean feat. Maybe the route is less challenging than your average sportive profile.

Riding back however is probably a better achievement in it's own right!

biggrin.gif

I think sub 3 hours would be hard but not impossible. There are crowds of people along literally ever mile of the route. You never find yourself the only cyclist within sight. Given this; there is always some draft.

But that is as much a curse as a gift because sometimes you just can't get past the group doing 12 mph chatting away riding 4 abreast from kerb to centre line.

As I said earlier I did it in 3 hrs 38 last year and felt fine at the finish, certainly hadn't burnt any matches so I think I could easily shave 10 and maybe even 20 minutes from the overall time.

Top Bottom