Manchester to Blackpool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

italiafirenze

World's Greatest Spy
Just a thought on start times...

I got my little card thingy, the one with your N.O.K. details and stuff, and there is a start time of 0630 stamped on it.

How "obliged" are you to start at this time? Would there be any problem starting a tad later, say 0700? What are the queues like at the earlier times?

Thanks in advance...:thumbsup:

Everybody turns up and gets ushered into a gate, if you've paid you go straight round and hand in your details card.

They let off maybe 50 or so cyclists at a time (maybe more, it's hard to judge) and probably leave a minute or two in between. Nobody is looking who is starting when or anything like that. You just turn up and get in line to start.

perplexed

Guru
Everybody turns up and gets ushered into a gate, if you've paid you go straight round and hand in your details card.

They let off maybe 50 or so cyclists at a time (maybe more, it's hard to judge) and probably leave a minute or two in between. Nobody is looking who is starting when or anything like that. You just turn up and get in line to start.

Ok, thanks! :biggrin:

Tangospud

Missed last years as on holiday.
Previous years times of 3 Hours 19 in 2009 & 3 Hours 41 in 2008 to beat.
Fairly easy course as I remember,only 2-3 little climbs (leaving Manchester by the motorway underpass, Haigh Hall & approaching Kirkham). Though I think the route gets tinkered with every year.
The wind can be a tough factor. In 2009, strong westerley made it very tough from Preston.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
in 2009 we went into Haige Hall, BAD MOVE

In 2010 we climbed passed it and went around due to a concert, MUCH BETTER

Just hope this year we dont get sent through it again

OP
OP
DiddlyDodds

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
in 2009 we went into Haige Hall, BAD MOVE

In 2010 we climbed passed it and went around due to a concert, MUCH BETTER

Just hope this year we dont get sent through it again

When you go round the hall and start the decent down into the forest it goes so far down i was expecting to see Hobbits and Goblins down there ,, bleedin slippy on all the leaves

italiafirenze

World's Greatest Spy
When you go round the hall and start the decent down into the forest it goes so far down i was expecting to see Hobbits and Goblins down there ,, bleedin slippy on all the leaves

I liked haigh hall, didn't like the hay bail chicane that sprang up out of the dark halfway down.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
My mate fell off at Haigh Hall.

Fell foul of the sharp left hand bend at the bottom of the hill, and ran out of pavement, he quickly discovered that 23mm road tyres don't have much grip on wet, slimy leaves.....

He was OK however, unlike the guy a few minutes later, who apparantly ended up in hospital.

All in all, I didn't miss Haigh Hall last year, the re-routed course was much better.

potsy

Rambler
I had been warned about Haigh Hall before I rode it last year, was a pleasant surprise to be diverted round it.
The descent around there was spectacular though, it was certainly the fastest I'd gone since starting cycling :biggrin:

I won't be partaking this time, bit of a been there done it kind of feeling about it now, would rather do some of the forum rides or another Audax :thumbsup:

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
was slippy, too slippy and it wasnt even wet TBH !

Im bang out of form, scared for my time

Stockie

Ticking the boxes
this will be my first charity ride and I am nervous as hell. Managed 50 miles for first time last weekend around Chesterfield area so hope will be able to complete it. Any advice re cycling in such large numbers.

endoman

[sub]Haigh Hall, rode a skateboard down that hill aged 10, that was fun when I came off, not far to the Infirmary though.[/sub]
[sub]
[/sub]
[sub]It's where Wigan Rugby do a lot of their running training, [/sub]
[sub]
[/sub]
[sub]Have to say wouldn't fancy biking it now though, used to as a kid, but have grown up a bit. Where were they getting you too and from that needed you to go that way? Tons of other ways around.[/sub]

eddie coffin

I've got an early start time (630am) and would love to do it within 3 hours. Would be a stretch solo so ideally need a group. Anybody else with an early start want to go for it?

Top Bottom