Manchester to Blackpool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Im doing manchester to blackpool this year - to miss the 4 abreast brigade Im setting off at bang-on 6:30 - I did it in 2009 and found it very dangerous at times due too inconsiderate cyclists - Ive been informed that an early start misses the idiots

Bayerd

Über Member
Does anyone know what the profile is by the way??

Nearly all flat or downhill, last year there were 2 very short steep uphills, but other than that, nothing to worry about.

I know what you mean, too many 'fun'day cyclists riding 5 a breast from the kerb to the whiteline as previously another post mentioned. It annoyed me last year as I was trying for a time, but I'll be a 'fun'day rider myself this year, and I'll be sure to keep left for the benefit of faster riders :thumbsup:

It's definately not a day for a quick time, there's much better organised rides that this if you're after a quickie ;)

PaulB

Legendary Member
Anyone doing this please remember that none of your entry fee goes to charity despite the logos on their web page. There's nothing to stop you riding that route and not paying 'Bike Events' (who pocket all the entry fees themselves). Do it and send the entry fee that's not going in Bike Events pockets to a charity of YOUR choice.

Camgreen

Im doing manchester to blackpool this year - to miss the 4 abreast brigade Im setting off at bang-on 6:30 - I did it in 2009 and found it very dangerous at times due too inconsiderate cyclists - Ive been informed that an early start misses the idiots

Let's not forget that the "idiots" come in all shapes and sizes though. While there will be a few cyclists on the day whose lack of regular riding experience/technique coupled with lack of spacial awareness will cause potential difficulties for their fellow riders; there is also the "idiots" who ride up the inside, overtake too close or cut back in too quickly because it suits their own selfish aspirations on the day, even though with their wealth of cycling experience they should know better. It takes all sorts I'm afraid, but sometimes a lack of consideration can be a blanket problem across all levels.

Let's not forget that the "idiots" come in all shapes and sizes though. While there will be a few cyclists on the day whose lack of regular riding experience/technique coupled with lack of spacial awareness will cause potential difficulties for their fellow riders; there is also the "idiots" who ride up the inside, overtake too close or cut back in too quickly because it suits their own selfish aspirations on the day, even though with their wealth of cycling experience they should know better. It takes all sorts I'm afraid, but sometimes a lack of consideration can be a blanket problem across all levels.

I agree - the last time I did it someone took me on the inside and brought me off

DaveyB1981

The "fun" riders last year scared the bejesus out of me on many occasions! That said, my only "off" was entirely unassisted when I tried to cross some wet tram track on my way home.

Definately wouldnt be going for any decent times with the fun riders aroun though. Too much going on to be speed focused. Was debating the early start myself, but im slow this year, so maybe save it for the next one!

On a different note, I think i briefly rode with you today towards the end of the Windmills ride. That or there is a completely different bloke in the Thornton-Cleveleys area that wears your username on his jersey ;)

Dave

tongskie01

The "fun" riders last year scared the bejesus out of me on many occasions! That said, my only "off" was entirely unassisted when I tried to cross some wet tram track on my way home.

Definately wouldnt be going for any decent times with the fun riders aroun though. Too much going on to be speed focused. Was debating the early start myself, but im slow this year, so maybe save it for the next one!

On a different note, I think i briefly rode with you today towards the end of the Windmills ride. That or there is a completely different bloke in the Thornton-Cleveleys area that wears your username on his jersey ;)

Dave

did u see me? doing manchester to blackpool next month.

Dave
You did ride with me at the end - If the person you are talking about had MAD PENSIONER on the back of his jersey - I believe you were the rider with a black and white jersey - we spoke prior to entering the last major r/bt

Jmetz

Doing it once more this year, will be happy to get a sub 4h ride in as not a great deal of time has been spent on the bike doing longer rides this year, just commuting. Cycling the event and then back to manchester.

Also we have the manchester to chester as a warm up this coming sunday!

OP
OP
DiddlyDodds

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Anyone doing this please remember that none of your entry fee goes to charity despite the logos on their web page. There's nothing to stop you riding that route and not paying 'Bike Events' (who pocket all the entry fees themselves). Do it and send the entry fee that's not going in Bike Events pockets to a charity of YOUR choice.

I have to point out that on their web site it is quite clear " Your entry fee pays only for the safe running of the ride. Please ask your friends and family to sponsor you and help raise much-needed funds for the work of the Christie."

Many want to just ride for fun and not for any charity, so for £16 to get a marshal at almost every corner , a mechanic ever 20 miles and a van to collect you should you break down (in tears as well mechanicaly) and entertainment at the finish line, in my opinion that is good value.

In this day and age what does £16 get you ,, very little, one family meal at KFC , Half a ticket to the footy , one good cycling glove.

If you dont want to pay thats fine, do it the day before or the day after and give your money to charity on any day of the year (last month three of us raised £4308.00 for local charity doing the Coast to Coast, so i have no problem doing rides for charity) but dont do on the backs of others who are paying for the organization of an event.

Paul B is right in what you say but its 'pay your money take your choice'.

Globalti

Legendary Member
These charity rides have a function in providing a safe environment for leisure cyclists to push their envelope. I did a couple when I first started road cycling but am now in the PaulB camp; why pay money to ride with hundreds of charity riders bumbling across the road when you can do 60 miles with a couple of pals for free or the cost of an OS map and a coffee?

If you must do the ride, start very early to avoid the crowds and try to get a chain gang organised for fast progress, especially out on the windy flatlands beyond Preston.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Or conversly set off at 9.00am. Expect to ride slowly, surrounded by a number of people who dont feel like they have to complete the run at warp factor 11 and enjoy the atmosphere.

I've done the ride for the last few years with people from work, and have done both the balls-out early start and the picnic/pint take it easy version and had fun both ways. Not sure what this years approach will be - depends on who else from work signs up (could be a roady chain gang there and back, or a more relaxed bimble).

With regards to paying for the event, I've split the difference. I think 15-17 quid for a mostly unsupported ride is expensive. However half that is acceptable, so I pay for the Man-Blackpool run, and then ride the later Manchester 100 as a freebie. :whistle:

perplexed

Guru
Just a thought on start times...

I got my little card thingy, the one with your N.O.K. details and stuff, and there is a start time of 0630 stamped on it.

How "obliged" are you to start at this time? Would there be any problem starting a tad later, say 0700? What are the queues like at the earlier times?

Thanks in advance...:thumbsup:

Top Bottom