Marital dispute - please help settle it.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Ah I see, I thought this was about sorting out the rights and wrongs of literary fiction references.

Turns out it's just a woman / wife bashing thread.

As you were ... :okay:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Can I be a fly on the wall please? :popcorn:

In the Kurt Vonnegut classification of stories there are 6 basic narrative arcs. Do Cinders, Snow White and Alice follow similar ones?

1. Rags to riches – a steady rise from bad to good fortune

2. Riches to rags – a fall from good to bad, a tragedy

3. Icarus – a rise then a fall in fortune

4. Oedipus – a fall, a rise then a fall again

5. Cinderella – rise, fall, rise

6. Man in a hole – fall, rise

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Alice in Wonderland is related to Snow White and or Cinderella how exactly??

I mean ficticous females yes, but then is Huckleberry Finn in the same 'ballpark' as Rumpelstiltskin??

My, possibly shoddy, questioning was along the lines of lead female characters in fantasy literature. :smile:

If the opposition had said 'yes' to my ballpark question I'm pretty sure that I would've gotten to Alice in a few heartbeats which would've put me one ahead at that stage of the game.

With my swift quad-trick thereafter (Leslie Crowther, Banksy, Winnie Mandela and Sam Allardyce) and a couple of debateable points in the other camp, especially when I inadvertently helped out with Ben of Willard fame, I would've been in pole position to not have to cook sausages at 5am in the morning. ^_^

Loser = sausage cooker was the 'purse'.

It went down to the wire with a tie-breaker, although I jokingly (honest) cheated, but was hung out to dry because of this and ended up as 'the fryer'.

Cest la vie and better luck for me next time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

In the Kurt Vonnegut classification of stories there are 6 basic narrative arcs. Do Cinders, Snow White and Alice follow similar ones?

1. Rags to riches – a steady rise from bad to good fortune

2. Riches to rags – a fall from good to bad, a tragedy

3. Icarus – a rise then a fall in fortune

4. Oedipus – a fall, a rise then a fall again

5. Cinderella – rise, fall, rise

6. Man in a hole – fall, rise

Blooming hell this is getting highbrow. :laugh:

I'll throw this into the discussion hat as a prequel to our next game and if there is indeed some overlap I may well claim a retrospective 1 point starter for free. This will, of course, provoke a high-spirited argument as the love of my life adores a Saturday night debate when she can hurl (friendly) abuse in my direction if (as is too often the case) she is proven to be right.

I think Mrs. Spokey is probably correct in this. If you'd said Dorothy from Wizard of Oz I'd have had more sympathy (normal girl transported to fantastical world), but it's a stretch too far to call Alice genre-mates with Snow White or Cinderella.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
My, possibly shoddy, questioning was along the lines of lead female characters in fantasy literature. :smile:

If the opposition had said 'yes' to my ballpark question I'm pretty sure that I would've gotten to Alice in a few heartbeats which would've put me one ahead at that stage of the game.

With my swift quad-trick thereafter (Leslie Crowther, Banksy, Winnie Mandela and Sam Allardyce) and a couple of debateable points in the other camp, especially when I inadvertently helped out with Ben of Willard fame, I would've been in pole position to not have to cook sausages at 5am in the morning. ^_^

Loser = sausage cooker was the 'purse'.

It went down to the wire with a tie-breaker, although I jokingly (honest) cheated, but was hung out to dry because of this and ended up as 'the fryer'.

Cest la vie and better luck for me next time.

Crivens, in a few heartbeats, you say...

But then maybe it says something about the dearth of literary lead females.

Tbh ,I don't know how you guys find the energy to stay up so late engaged in parlour games, but fair play to you

Retired ??

So plenty of time for refreshing daytime naps ??.

Or other 'assistance' :whistle:

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

Crivens, in a few heartbeats, you say...

But then maybe it says something about the dearth of literary lead females.

Tbh ,I don't know how you guys find the energy to stay up so late engaged in parlour games, but fair play to you

Retired ??

So plenty of time for refreshing daytime naps ??.

Or other 'assistance' :whistle:

We have plenty of free time and have always been a bit nocturnal but..

... 5 years ago I was mis-diagnosed with a hideous terminal disease (took ages to rule it out) which refocused our lives and we decided, amongst other things, that Saturday night would be party night every week in our house as life is so damn short. I'm 65 and Mrs SD is 58 so we are heading into the back end of life so to speak.

We kick off around 6 or 7pm Saturday and run through to 5 to 7am Sunday morning. Probably only missed a couple of handfuls of nights in all that time - illness, friends visiting etc.

We play games, listen to lots of loud music, dance (her great, me crap but I try), put the world to rights and generally chew the cud plus some lovey-dovey stuff. In short we have an absolute blast.

Sunday is a recovery day and we just doss, have a big brekkie, hit the sack early and have a 'Kindle & Cuddle' night, as we call them, to recharge.

Most of our friends think we are mad!

No "other assistance" just gin/wine/fizz and sausages! ^_^

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

... 5 years ago I was mis-diagnosed with a hideous terminal disease (took ages to tule it out) which refocused our lives and we decided, amongst other things, that Saturday night would be party night every week in our house as life is so damn short. I'm 65 and Mrs SD is 58 so we are heading into the back end of life so to speak.

We kick off around 6 or 7pm Saturday and run through to 5 to 7am Sunday morning. Probably only missed a couple of handfuls of nights in all that time - illness, friends visiting etc.

We play games, listen to lots of loud music, dance (her great, me crap but I try), put the world to rights and generally chew the cud plus some lovey-dovey stuff. In short we have an absolute blast.

Sunday is a recovery day and we just doss, have a big brekkie, hit the sack early and have a 'Kindle & Cuddle' night, as we call them, to recharge.

Sounds fun.

Your friends are probs just jealous.

Glad it wasn't anything nasty.
Life is too short and too precious.

Saluki

World class procrastinator

... 5 years ago I was mis-diagnosed with a hideous terminal disease (took ages to rule it out) which refocused our lives and we decided, amongst other things, that Saturday night would be party night every week in our house as life is so damn short. I'm 65 and Mrs SD is 58 so we are heading into the back end of life so to speak.

What an excellent attitude.
I am 57 and coming to similar conclusion.
Time is a precious commodity, I can’t obtain more. Money, however, I can generally have enough to live on. Just need to find someone with a similar mindset. Illness has taught me a lot.

Slick

Guru

Nice, I like it. :okay:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
What an excellent attitude.
I am 57 and coming to similar conclusion.
Time is a precious commodity, I can’t obtain more. Money, however, I can generally have enough to live on. Just need to find someone with a similar mindset. Illness has taught me a lot.

I'm sure there's someone out there of a similar mindset who would like to share some nice times with you.

I know, I know, finding them is not always the easiest.

The whole internet dating thing gives the appearance of abundance.

But it can also be a bit 'hear today, gone tomorrow' and then on to the next prospect ..

Good relationship with, and respect for #1 yourself, is key to all of it though.

Best of luck :okay:

winjim

Smash the cistern

Sounds like a great weekend.

Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass are fairytales in my estimation. I put Alice totally in the same ballpark as Snow White and Cinderella.

Top Bottom