Mastering Combination Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have Shimano M324 pedals on my Giant Roam 0 hybrid. I use the flat side not cleats. I know this sounds stupid but I've not been able to master getting the right side. For some reason whenever I set off at traffic lights. My left foot always finds the cleat side and sometimes it can be dangerous as I try to flip it over.

Does anyone have any advice.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I have Shimano M324 pedals on my Giant Roam 0 hybrid. I use the flat side not cleats. I know this sounds stupid but I've not been able to master getting the right side. For some reason whenever I set off at traffic lights. My left foot always finds the cleat side and sometimes it can be dangerous as I try to flip it over.

Does anyone have any advice.
The obvious answer is that if you don’t use the cleats, swap the pedals for something that’s flat on both sides. What am I missing?

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
Yeah the reason I got these M324 is because I kept breaking the plastic flat pedals. I'm unable to find metal flat pedals. Do they exist?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The 324 pedals are 'weighted' so that the clip side is heavier, when the crank is turning this causes the clip side to stay on the outside so the pedal will 'flip' to the cleat side at the top of the stroke however if you take your foot off at the top and put it back on at the bottom the pedal will be the other way up and you'll get the flat side uppermost. Alternatively take your foot off whilst not pedalling and the pedal will turn flat side uppermost in any position, no need to look down or try to flip it with your toe or anything.

A trick I learnt in the 70s with 'rat traps' but it works equally well with combination pedals. :becool:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
The 324 pedals are 'weighted' so that the clip side is heavier, when the crank is turning this causes the clip side to stay on the outside so the pedal will 'flip' to the cleat side at the top of the stroke however if you take your foot off at the top and put it back on at the bottom the pedal will be the other way up and you'll get the flat side uppermost. Alternatively take your foot off whilst not pedalling and the pedal will turn flat side uppermost in any position, no need to look down or try to flip it with your toe or anything.

A trick I learnt in the 70s with 'rat traps' but it works equally well with combination pedals. :becool:
This.... just about to post when I read yours RN!

Gunk

Guru

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Wellgo do some nice ones too, got a pair of these on my Saracen 'Blitz'

HTB1BlSoPwHqK1RjSZJnq6zNLpXaE.jpg

Used as a Snow bike when I commuted by bike.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
And another vote for the "cheap and yet perfect" Wellgo standard metal flat pedals, I've got the ones Raleighnut mentions (I like to wear normal hiking / trail shoes for touring)... the LU987 that Bassman has are super too, they're on my daughter's bike and I rather fancy a pair of my own.

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
I'm just wondering abou tthe Well LU987U. Why are they better than the MKS? I thought the MKS ones would provide better grip with its serrated edges when using normal trainers.

Top Bottom