Memorials and bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
Frances Browne, poet and novelist.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
War memorial, Pleasley Vale

Large_Memorial, Pleasley Vale.JPG

Glyn family memorial in a separate hedged off area behind the church in Albury, Hertfordshire.
The tablets along the bottom are to individual family members.
Quite a few of the tablets said that the deceased was a banker, which struck me as damn odd at the time, never seen before on a gravestone.
Occurred to me later that quite possibly Glyn as in the old William and Glyns bank.

I know that - almost took a pic a while ago - riding from south London to hastings early one morn - it's heading up to the north downs isn't it?

(I always had the idea you were a far bit further west out in Kent to be honest)

Last edited:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Herne church yard today.

Attachments

• 20210808_104410.jpg
    20210808_104410.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 5
29210_13_Alpirsbach_40.jpg

Memorial to the "Flösser" in Schiltach, Black Forest.

Before the railways came the Flösser would transport logs out of the forests by river, a job which must have required large... character. The rivers aren't that deep in the hills, so the Flösser would compensate by damming them, filling the resulting pool with log rafts and then letting it all go at once. The logs rafts required steering, so the Flösser would ride the wave downriver, fending off rocks and other obstacles with a pole.

I don't know if they coordinated with villages downstream to make sure everything went at once or if they just floated down to the next blockage and crashed into the wood being stored there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom