Mention an animal.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Mitsukerina Owstoni (apols for spelling, working from memory).

Good luck. :biggrin:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
simonali said:
I've got a GP. Did have 2, but one died. Went to the pet shop to ask about getting another, as they are very social creatures and like the company and was told it was a bad idea as they'd probably fight. That's not very social, is it?! :biggrin:
We had 4 and one by one they all petered-out. They were the kids pets, but guess who did most of the caring? Well, I miss them, so in the spring I'm gonna get 2 of my own...for the quality of conversation really....:biggrin:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Laurence, I am very much enjoying looking at all your photos. They are all excellent. It must take a lot of time, waiting to get the correct angle and profile ( and correct lighting ) of the animals and I am very impressed.

What sort of camera have you got?

Quite by accident, I came across this site, which you might like to look at, for its photos. It is a German website, but you do not need to be able to read German to understand the photos.;)

view.stern.de/v2/profile/21145

Please excuse the longish link, I do not understand the process of getting it shorter.

col said:
A knightingale perhaps?

you'll be lucky! i've never seen or heard one... then again, they're pretty dull to look at. saying that, i may have heard/seen one last year, but it was very fleeting and i'm not an expert. it was along the Hogsmill walk and i think they have been seen there in the past. maybe this spring.

Speicher said:
Laurence, I am very much enjoying looking at all your photos. They are all excellent. It must take a lot of time, waiting to get the correct angle and profile ( and correct lighting ) of the animals and I am very impressed.

What sort of camera have you got?

Quite by accident, I came across this site, which you might like to look at, for its photos. It is a German website, but you do not need to be able to read German to understand the photos.;)

view.stern.de/v2/profile/21145

Please excuse the longish link, I do not understand the process of getting it shorter.

the cameras are a Pentax K100d dslr and a Kodak 330 compact. i've had the pentax a few months now and most of the recent shots are with that, although the Kodak is very good at shooting into the sun with (which is a pet love of mine), i think the 'simpler' imaging doesn't get as confused as the Pentax!

it does take ages to get the correct angles and stuff... but i can't be arsed with that and just shoot whatever i see and like. with birds you just have to go for it, they don't stay still for long. even the tame squirrels were camera shy, it seems animals don't like metal boxes being pointed at them - i have noticed that swans often move their heads away when a camera is aimed at them, possibly due to being blinded by flash a lot. basically, if i see something that looks nice in a good light, then i'll take a snap... and i can't be bothered with processing either... straight out of the camera onto flickr! i do have photoshop somewhere, but i want a record of what i saw, not a tarted up version. saying that, there's some dark shots of a cormorant that i'd like to get sorted.

the german site looked a bit like a magazine crossed with flickr. there's a nice shot of a bike wedged between rocks on there.

so there you have my secrets... just point and shoot. i haven't even got a tripod (as you can see by the amount of blurry shots), but i might have to succumb for longer lens shots of birds, especially at the wetlands centre. i also try and avoid shots of humans as they're a repulsive species.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Crackle said:
and your bonus question.....

Why can't owl's fly in the rain?

Why can't owl's what fly in the rain?

Pete, sadly, I knew you meant rabbits without looking it up...

I'm also impressed with your photos laurence - I'm only a point and snapper, with a little digital camera, but if I take enough, I sometimes get the odd good one. For Christmas I had calendars made up on Photobox for my Mum and sister, all flower photos I'd taken myself over the last couple of years. At least flowers sit relatively still...

2.jpg

11.jpg

i like flowers for the colour, i don't know one from another. also the shapes are good. indeed, they do sit still, unless it's windy. i'm slightly obsessed with the reeds at the wetlands centre as they burst into colour with the sun on them. my problem with flowers is where to focus. i like the daisy shot for the shadows... good pics.

i might get a calendar done for people next year. a swan a month. or a reed.

i have just taken delivery of a 500mm mirror lens! i used to have one years ago. expect lots of blurred shots as i get used to it. it's also got a fixed aperture, so you're a tad limited with settings. but it does have a lovely effect with the out of focus background.

2180734840_53a3173714_b.jpg

Arch

Married to Night Train
Crackle said:
Go on then what's wrong with my original sentence?

You used a possessive apostrophe for a plural...

The owls hooted
The owl's wing flapped.

Or the owl's feeling poorly - apostrophe used to denote a missing letter - the i of is.

I'm sorry, alright, I can't help it, it's a nervous condition I have to notice stuff like that....:biggrin:

Top Bottom