Mention an animal.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Aha! You know I have no idea why I did that. It's obvious now you pointed it out. I shall write it out a hundred times.

why can't owls fly in the rain
............etc.... (you'll have to take my word for it)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Crackle said:
Aha! You know I have no idea why I did that. It's obvious now you pointed it out. I shall write it out a hundred times.

............etc.... (you'll have to take my word for it)

Don't worry yourself, Sometimes I type a sentence and look at it to find that I've typed one word completely wrong. Not a typo, or letters transposed, just the wrong word...

Plax

Guru
simonali said:
I've got a GP. Did have 2, but one died. Went to the pet shop to ask about getting another, as they are very social creatures and like the company and was told it was a bad idea as they'd probably fight. That's not very social, is it?! :wacko:

I have 4 of them at the moment. Several years ago I had up to 11. How mad was that! Anyways. I have 2 girls and 2 boys, obviously the girls are in one cage and the boys are in another!
The girls are great. They love each other, are always in the same pigloo and never fight.
The boys are a right pain in the arse. They regularly scrap. It's a dominance thing with them. I've only had two boys that got on well (I mean they "luvved" each other. One had a very laid back attitude though and wasn't overtly aggressive so I guess he was happy to be the beta pig). Sion is nearly two, his mate Dewi recently died (he was nearly 5) so I got him a new friend as he is still quite young. Stanley-Norman is the baby (about 9 months old), but always trys it on with Sion. I think they are too close in age. Apparently the best combination is two males the same age, or one older male and one baby. Obviously I picked the wrong baby (I think I have a guinea pig version of a "chav"!).
Do you have a boy or a girl? I'm guessing boys, so then yes, they probably will fight. If you have a girl though, then definitely get another one. If you introduce them properly on neutral territory first a few times then they'll soon settle down together. One might get picked on (i.e chased around the cage), but they rarely have a full blown fight (I've never had a girl that fought) but they'll soon be like one happy family!

simonali

Guru
I'm not certain on how to check for sure, but I've always been under the impression that she's a... she. She's 4 now, so I don't know how much longer she'll live for. Maximum of around 8 years, I believe? Bit worried now that I get a new one, then the old girl dies and I end up back in the same boat!

The pet shop peeps led me to believe that it wasn't a good idea, but all the books I've looked at, whilst in said shops, don't really mention the subject.

There's a house a few miles from me where they have given over a large section of their garden to guineas and rabbits. We saw it once when walking our dog and there's lots of them all running around in there looking very happy with their lot. ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
We had three guineas, when I was little, one after the other, not at the same time. Ginny the first one, was just a guinea pig. Chocca the second (she was chocolate coloured) was very smart indeed. She learned the sound of my Dad's footsteps as he walked home from the shops, and whistled to him, knowing that when he got in, he'd come out and feed her, or put her run out on the lawn. Over winter, we brought her inside, as the shed was very damp, and she learned the daily routine of the house, right up to the fact that Mum would bring her a last lettuce leaf or carrot last thing at night, and she (Chocca, not Mum) learned to listen for the kitchen light switch clicking, and started whistling then. She (Chocca again, not Mum), also learned to do all sorts of other stuff. She'd run laps of the room, or jump up onto a box or something, and sit there looking regal. Very sociable and vocal, and adored grapes.

When she died, at a good age, we got Ashley (long haired grey) and she was a bimbo and thick as two short planks. Her eyes were too close together to allow for any brain between. She had all the same stimulus offered, but resolutely just sat there. We'd often find her looking hungry, sitting on her dinner.

simonali

Guru
I've been spoiling ours, thinking that she might be about to expire any minute (most of our other ones died aged around 4) and now she refuses to eat ordinary carrots, only munching on the organic ones with the tops left on. Put ordinary carrot in the bowl and it's still there the next day!

She's quite scaredy, but quite greedy with it and you can see the fight going on in her little brain of 'getting some food vs staying hidden in the bedroom' when the food bowl is replenished.

Top Bottom