Merlin Cycles Sold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
A great shame, it never seems to work well when an online retailer is bought out (Ribble, for example). At least they were bought by a company in the industry rather than some bunch of asset stripping sharks in the financial sector, so there's hope.
Merlin aren't just online though? They have a shop too somewhere in Lancs?

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Merlin aren't just online though? They have a shop too somewhere in Lancs?
Chorley on Buckshaw Village.

I’ve ordered from Merlin for the first time in a while, a new bottom bracket for one of my bikes. The ordering process was a good as I remember as were shipping and tracking notifications.

With the item now is transit, and outside of Merlin’s control, Royal Mail stuff things up. They attempted delivery of Wednesday but I was out. They were on strike on Thursday so redelivery was scheduled for yesterday. As expected I got the notification that it was out for delivery and that is where it remains. Even today it still says out for delivery with yesterday’s date.

RM are giving me the runaround so this will be a good test of customer service from Merlin.

Jameshow

Veteran
A great shame, it never seems to work well when an online retailer is bought out (Ribble, for example). At least they were bought by a company in the industry rather than some bunch of asset stripping sharks in the financial sector, so there's hope.

Who own Ribble now?

Looks like Absolute are part of a larger investment company;

"For the uninitiated, Absolut Bikes are a German distributor based out of Ostfildern and one that was itself bought late last year in a deal with Dutch investment company the Fields Group."

https://craft.co/fields-group

Seems to be another spate of take-overs happening in the industry; locally we have just had Rutland Cycles bought by Specialized with some shop closures.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I’ve ordered from Merlin for the first time in a while, a new bottom bracket for one of my bikes. The ordering process was a good as I remember as were shipping and tracking notifications.

With the item now is transit, and outside of Merlin’s control, Royal Mail stuff things up. They attempted delivery of Wednesday but I was out. They were on strike on Thursday so redelivery was scheduled for yesterday. As expected I got the notification that it was out for delivery and that is where it remains. Even today it still says out for delivery with yesterday’s date.

RM are giving me the runaround so this will be a good test of customer service from Merlin.

I refuse to buy anything online if vendor is using Royal Mail as a "delivery" service

I refuse to buy anything online if vendor is using Royal Mail as a "delivery" service

First RM problem I have had in many years. Evri / Hermes, on the other hand, put me off ordering from a company using them.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
First RM problem I have had in many years. Evri / Hermes, on the other hand, put me off ordering from a company using them.

Under "normal" circumstances, I would agree, but, it is public knowledge that RM are striking periodically, I don't see it as good customer service for a supplier to use them, whilst they are unreliable in this way.

However, personally, I have not had any problem with Evri/Hermes, or, any other Courier company.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Under "normal" circumstances, I would agree, but, it is public knowledge that RM are striking periodically, I don't see it as good customer service for a supplier to use them, whilst they are unreliable in this way.

However, personally, I have not had any problem with Evri/Hermes, or, any other Courier company.

It's also public knowledge why the industrial action is justified, though you won't agree no doubt.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
It's also public knowledge why the industrial action is justified, though you won't agree no doubt.

I neither agree nor disagree.

Wouldn't my method hasten settlement?, if Royal Mail aren't getting the business, and, therefore the income, it increases pressure on them, if they are getting the business, but, just delivering late, no inconvenience, except for the customer.

But... This is not NACA, I just want my deliveries on time.

Last edited:

Chislenko

Veteran
Ordered some Black Friday wheels (even though it is Tuesday) this morning.

Noticed they have ditched Royal Mail and are now using DPD as their delivery partner.

Top Bottom