Met Police....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mossj88

Found this video of some Hungarians running a little experiment with a Stolen Bike in London. The Met Police completely let them down and leave the scean without recovering the bike (they knocked on the door of a flat asked if they had the bike, the occupant said no, so they walked off leaving the Hungarians to fight for themselves)

(turn on captions using the button next to the speech bubble for English subtitles)
Found @ London Cyclist

Kookas

Über Member
Found this video of some Hungarians running a little experiment with a Stolen Bike in London. The Met Police completely let them down and leave the seen without recovering the bike (they knocked on the door of a flat asked if they had the bike, the occupant said no, so they walked off leaving the Hungarians to fight for themselves)

(turn on captions using the button next to the speech bubble for English subtitles)​

I'm surprised the police went there at all. I remember trying to report a stolen phone, but because it wasn't provable that I didn't somehow lose it (I.e. have it vanish into fairy dust), they didn't even pretend to give a shoot. They actually hung up on me. The police in this country suck as far as petty crimes go.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Perhaps these recently elected People In Great Situations :mrpig: ( i couldnt be bothered to look up thier proper title) will make a difference to Police responses :o) :laugh:

OP
OP
mossj88

mossj88

I'm surprised the police went there at all. I remember trying to report a stolen phone, but because it wasn't provable that I didn't somehow lose it (I.e. have it vanish into fairy dust), they didn't even pretend to give a s***. They actually hung up on me. The police in this country suck as far as petty crimes go.

I think they only got a response because they agreed what they were doing with a inspector earlier in the day and I'd suspect confirmed they would get a response. Had they not, they'd probably have been told to jog on like 90% of the victims of crime I speak to.

@Psycolist good point, we can hope...

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I'm not disputing that the police aren't that bothered by bike theft, but there was a point during that I found myself understanding the police point of view. Some guys have come over to test the police, by getting a bike stolen on purpose, then rung emergency services, timing the response and then can only tell the police that they think the bike, or at least the tracker is in one of several houses according to some weird gadget they claim can locate it.

If theyd had a laptop or smartphone with a proper live map on it, maybe it would have been more convincing.

Drago

Legendary Member
Another example of people trying to be clever here in Westshire.

Our shiny new Commissioner (all hail!) tasked his staff (four deputy Commisioners, all chums from the same party, all paid £60,000 each out of forces budget) to do some "quality" checking. This involved these folks making mystery shopper type calls to the station in Sandford, and reporting various made up crimes and incidents.

After a morning of this the top brass got wind and had to have a quiet word with the PCC, and point out that as police officer and staff time was being wasted recording these calls and running round after them they were technically committing the offence of wasting police time. It would seem there is no exemption in the legislation that allows Deputy Commissioners to waste police tine for quality testing purposes.

As regards our foreign chums, deliberately making themselves a victim of crime is dumb enough, but then not being able to pin point an individual building/dwelling to a standard that would give the met plod chance of convincing a Magistrate to sign off a warrant, is arguably even higher incompetence than that which they hoped to find from the Met.

SteelUn

Another example of people trying to be clever here in Westshire.

Our shiny new Commissioner (all hail!) tasked his staff (four deputy Commisioners, all chums from the same party, all paid £60,000 each out of forces budget) to do some "quality" checking. This involved these folks making mystery shopper type calls to the station in Sandford, and reporting various made up crimes and incidents.

After a morning of this the top brass got wind and had to have a quiet word with the PCC, and point out that as police officer and staff time was being wasted recording these calls and running round after them they were technically committing the offence of wasting police time. It would seem there is no exemption in the legislation that allows Deputy Commissioners to waste police tine for quality testing purposes.

Interesting. Are you suggesting the police are never quality tested by their management, or that quality testing should or indeed can be done without any expenditure of staff time?

Drago

Legendary Member
There is indeed quality testing, but its done by people employed with a specific remit to do so.

And they don't feel the need to waste police time by ringing in with Bullpois. Why would they need to do that when they can listen to the recording of any call they want, when they can view the dispatchers logs to see how the matter was dealt with, when they can electronically view the status of a crime investigation? All the data is there for anyone one to see without even the tiniest interference in the running of daily business.

Best bit is the data is examined by expert analysts periodically hired in to use their expertise to do the job. It would seem that simply being a member of the same political party as the PCC does not automatically confer one with any of the skills required to carry out any kind of meaningful study.

SteelUn

As regards our foreign chums, deliberately making themselves a victim of crime is dumb enough, but then not being able to pin point an individual building/dwelling to a standard that would give the met plod chance of convincing a Magistrate to sign off a warrant, is arguably even higher incompetence than that which they hoped to find from the Met.

Given they did pinpoint the exact house, being able to speak with such confidence that let them get the bike back despite the residents' initial denial of its existence seems to indicate to me that the standard of the device is pretty good.

It also seems to me the initial tracking difficulties are understandable given: a) it was a block of flat, and b) the commotion with the police gave the thieves the opportunity to move the bike to the house where it was eventually retrieved.

Drago

Legendary Member
Marvellous. You would be able to explain the tracking system to a Magistrate, its manufacture, its provenance, its doubtless comprehensive and documented testing, the reliably and accuracy record...

Just pointing at a front door and triumphantly proclaiming " it's in there, my marvellous tracking system says so" doesn't empower a bobby to go in there and root around for it, even if the gentleman is correct.

avalon

Guru
Some may see it as a waste of police time but it also pointed out the fact that you are also wasting your own time by asking the police for help. Maybe the time has come when ordinary people can no longer rely on the police to enforce the law or protect private citizens from criminals, as was demonstrated to the world during the London riots. It made the British police look helpless and incompitent.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Maybe the time has come when ordinary people can no longer rely on the police to enforce the law or protect private citizens from criminals, as was demonstrated to the world during the London riots. It made the British police look helpless and incompitent.
It may have done from Australia. It certainly didn't from London.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Some may see it as a waste of police time but it also pointed out the fact that you are also wasting your own time by asking the police for help. Maybe the time has come when ordinary people can no longer rely on the police to enforce the law or protect private citizens from criminals, as was demonstrated to the world during the London riots. It made the British police look helpless and incompitent.

do they never have civil unrest down under?

or it this Aussie humour?

SteelUn

Marvellous. You would be able to explain the tracking system to a Magistrate, its manufacture, its provenance, its doubtless comprehensive and documented testing, the reliably and accuracy record...

Just pointing at a front door and triumphantly proclaiming " it's in there, my marvellous tracking system says so" doesn't empower a bobby to go in there and root around for it, even if the gentleman is correct.

You are now arguing a different point to what I made. I said the device seems to be able to locate the bike reasonably well (when it seems you said it was unable to and that the principals were incompetent). I do understand that using the information the device provides to retrieve a bike reliably, within the law, is unfortunately fraught with difficulties - I don't believe however that is the fault of the device, its manufacturer, or whoever who happens to own or use it.

Top Bottom