Police did an excellent job after incident.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
I was knocked off my best bike by a car today, whilst stationary at the traffic lights, the car then preceded to run over my bike and then ran into my wife's bike. The driver preceded to drive on, I looked into the window of the car and it was a very old woman. Another driver stopped her from driving off.

She said she thought that she had done no harm, it transpired she was 89 years old and the car had flat tyres and many dents. My wife phoned the police as the old woman seemed confused and a danger on the road.

A police woman arrived much later and took the details of the incident from the old woman and us. The police woman said that she was asking the old woman to voluntarily give up her driving license or ask the DVLA to revoke her driving license.

The police woman phoned us back later and said that the old woman had voluntarily given up her driving license.

Well done to the police, a job well done :okay:, I felt a bit sorry for the old woman, but she was obviously a danger on the road.

The old woman did have car insurance, but my best bike needs a new rim and a new rear derailleur at the very least.:cry:

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's tough for older people to admit that shouldn't drive anymore.

Fair play to the cops and hopefully the insurance coughs up sans problems.

Jameshow

Veteran
I was knocked off my best bike by a car today, whilst stationary at the traffic lights, the car then preceded to run over my bike and then ran into my wife's bike. The driver preceded to drive on, I looked into the window of the car and it was a very old woman. Another driver stopped her from driving off.

She said she thought that she had done no harm, it transpired she was 89 years old and the car had flat tyres and many dents. My wife phoned the police as the old woman seemed confused and a danger on the road.

A police woman arrived much later and took the details of the incident from the old woman and us. The police woman said that she was taking the old woman's driving license and stopping her from driving again.

The police woman phoned us back later and said that the old woman had voluntary given up her driving license.

Well done to the police, a job well done :okay:, I felt a bit sorry for the old woman, but she was obviously a danger on the road.

The old woman did have car insurance, but my best bike needs a new rim and a new rear derailleur at the very least.:cry:

Which bike? What wheel?

Mrs M

Guru

A police woman arrived much later and took the details of the incident from the old woman and us. The police woman said that she was taking the old woman's driving license and stopping her from driving again.

The police woman phoned us back later and said that the old woman had voluntary given up her driving license.

Hope you’re both ok.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yikes, Guy - I'm glad that you and your wife seem to be okay, but it's a shame about the bike(s)! I hope that the insurance company make sure that they get sorted out to your satisfaction.

I felt a bit sorry for the old woman, but she was obviously a danger on the road.
We were talking about that subject recently in (Mod Edit) personal matters - a forum section that should not be linked to because it's not searchable by non members :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
To clarify and avoid any misinformation I have edited the first post to state:

A police woman arrived much later and took the details of the incident from the old woman and us. The police woman said that she was asking the old woman to voluntarily give up her driving license or ask the DVLA to revoke her driving license.

The police woman phoned us back later and said that the old woman had voluntarily given up her driving license.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
To avoid misinformation I have edited the first post to state:

As I recall from all the media coverage of this incident, I don't think the police have the powers to do that. An 87 year old hit three people and killed one in Colchester a few days after a previous accident because although the police could request that the DVLA revoke his licence, they couldn't confiscate it themselves.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
To avoid misinformation I have edited the first post to state:

The police woman phoned us back later and said that the old woman had voluntarily given up her

Its pretty pointless taking her licence. She can apply for another one and only has to complete a medical declaration. The DVLA can stop it permenently

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Its pretty pointless taking her licence. She can apply for another one and only has to complete a medical declaration. The DVLA can stop it permenently

But she should (I know!) declare the incident to her insurers, who would impose an eye-watering premium when she tried to reinstate her insurance. Based on the circumstances, I suspect the lady is beyond the subtleties of gaming our admittedly weak licensing laws.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Sounds like a horrible situation for all (glad you're both OK!) but a fair outcome.

Remember that insurance companies are leeches and by rights the woman responsible should never have need for an NCB, so rinse them for all you can - I suggest getting a repair quote from a "generous" LBS.

FWIW I've seen this from many angles; near squashed by an unfit-through-age driver, knocked off by some muppet who subsequently drove off, having to deal with my late father's license being withdrawn because he was too far gone to recognise the need to give it up.

I hope it pans out as well as it can for all concerned.

Top Bottom