Police did an excellent job after incident.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
In Spain there's a requirement to pass a "psichotechnical" test every 10 years. This includes sight, hearing and reaction time tests, as well as a personality type test from what I can remember. Failing that test will mean the licence can't be renewed. Of course, the problem is that there's nothing you can do to stop someone from driving even if their licence has been withdrawn.

Why they would be driving without a license with serious consequences... Not that that stops the criminal yoof.

D

Deleted member 26715

Why they would be driving without a license with serious consequences... Not that that stops the criminal yoof.

Not always yoof's there's a young man mid 30's who I know who I know for a fact hadn't a license last year, he's quite happy to drive around uninsured with no license with his 2 kids in the car. Yes I could report him but he may have since passed his test since without my knowledge.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just mentioned this to a friend. He said that he was once in a stationary car behind a queue of traffic on Tenerife.

BANG!!!! A 94 year old man drove into the back of his car...

The old driver hadn't noticed that the 30+ cars in front of him were not moving! :whistle:

C R

Guru
I just mentioned this to a friend. He said that he was once in a stationary car behind a queue of traffic on Tenerife.

BANG!!!! A 94 year old man drove into the back of his car...

The old driver hadn't noticed that the 30+ cars in front of him were not moving! :whistle:

Exactly, the old man probably had not passed the medical, and would have no license, but how do you actually stop some without a license from driving?

Milzy

Guru
And rightly so you should get flammed.
You will feel completely different about it when you reach that age.

I’ve said it’s fine after a qualifying medical appraisal above. Cars will be self driving if I get to 70 in any case.

Milzy

Guru
Define elderly.

As soon as you hit the big 70 it’s testing time. You’d pay £25 for a gp to sign you off and enter your pass code on insurance documentation. A percentage of all money collected will be donated to help the aged charity.

PK99

Legendary Member
As soon as you hit the big 70 it’s testing time. You’d pay £25 for a gp to sign you off and enter your pass code on insurance documentation. A percentage of all money collected will be donated to help the aged charity.

You said that the elderly should be banned from the road.

Does that mean 70?

Milzy

Guru
You said that the elderly should be banned from the road.

Does that mean 70?

If you read the thread someone says a test should be complete once 70 is reached & I stated I fully agree with that. No driving until fitness test passed.

PK99

Legendary Member
If you read the thread someone says a test should be complete once 70 is reached & I stated I fully agree with that. No driving until fitness test passed.

So, you withdraw your statement that the elderly should be banned from the road.

Well done for seeing sense.

Milzy

Guru
So, you withdraw your statement that the elderly should be banned from the road.

Well done for seeing sense.

Not completely no. My mate Gordon is 70 and he travels around the world now he’s retired and highers cars out. You wouldn’t tell he was a day over 60. But mandatory health and competence tests would be nice from 70.

Could have killed somebody. I’ve always said elderly should be banned from the roads. I will always get flamed for it but I stand by it until I die. When she passed her test she’d have done about 2 lessons and the roads would have been simply laid out and empty of traffic.
Good result.

Any driver who is responsible for causing an accident should have to resit their test before driving again. Three strikes and you're out for good.

Any driver who fails to meet the physical or emotional criteria to make them safe drivers in a bi-annual test taken each year after passing the initial test should be banned. These criteria should be capable of being defined, understood and assessed clearly and the cost of this testing system should be borne by all motorists.

All equally bollux/common sense of course (delete as appropriate) and despite the regular rants around this topic nothing will change.

The right thing happened in this case and I hope the OP and his wife get appropriate recompense.

Hand on a mo, what you actually wrote was (and this is a direct quote from your post)
I’ve always said elderly should be banned from the roads. I will always get flamed for it but I stand by it until I die.

So you've very clearly changed your mind since you wrote that.

Now you just want 'the elderly' (who you have not yet defined) to be re-tested - which I think reasonable people, including most of 'the elderly' themselves, would agree with.

Stephenite

Membå
Hand on a mo, what you actually wrote was (and this is a direct quote from your post)

So you've very clearly changed your mind since you wrote that.

Now you just want 'the elderly' (who you have not yet defined) to be re-tested - which I think reasonable people, including most of 'the elderly' themselves, would agree with.

Depends upon one's definition of elderly, surely.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I was knocked off my best bike by a car today, whilst stationary at the traffic lights, the car then preceded to run over my bike and then ran into my wife's bike. The driver preceded to drive on, I looked into the window of the car and it was a very old woman. Another driver stopped her from driving off.

She said she thought that she had done no harm, it transpired she was 89 years old and the car had flat tyres and many dents. My wife phoned the police as the old woman seemed confused and a danger on the road.

A police woman arrived much later and took the details of the incident from the old woman and us. The police woman said that she was asking the old woman to voluntarily give up her driving license or ask the DVLA to revoke her driving license.

The police woman phoned us back later and said that the old woman had voluntarily given up her driving license.

Well done to the police, a job well done :okay:, I felt a bit sorry for the old woman, but she was obviously a danger on the road.

The old woman did have car insurance, but my best bike needs a new rim and a new rear derailleur at the very least.:cry:

What an awful thing to happen, good job nobody was injured and let's hope the driver stays away from the car. Hope the bikes can be sorted.

Remember that insurance companies are leeches and by rights the woman responsible should never have need for an NCB, so rinse them for all you can - I suggest getting a repair quote from a "generous" LBS.
Also see a physio ASAP about your injuries - pelvis area is complex, and you can find yourself with small-but-long-lasting issues. Expensive to fix properly, so worth getting the insurers to pay.
(and if you're actually fine, well it was worth £45 to get properly checked IMO! )

Top Bottom