Police did an excellent job after incident.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
To avoid misinformation I have edited the first post to state:

A police woman arrived much later and took the details of the incident from the old woman and us. The police woman said that she was asking the old woman to voluntarily give up her driving license or ask the DVLA to revoke her driving license.

The police woman phoned us back later and said that the old woman had voluntarily given up her driving license.

Now take the car away from her. :cursing:

That is horrendous Guy. I'm glad you and your wife are ok. Real shame about your best bike.
I've long thought that compulsory medicals and re-testing should be introduced for drivers over 70 years of age. Reflexes and eyesight are often deteriorating quickly from your 70s onwards.

D

Deleted member 1258

That is horrendous Guy. I'm glad you and your wife are ok. Real shame about your best bike.
I've long thought that compulsory medicals and re-testing should be introduced for drivers over 70 years of age. Reflexes and eyesight are often deteriorating quickly from your 70s onwards.

The UK licence needs to be renewed at 70, I renewed mine last year, then has to be renewed every three years, the licence holder has to self certify that they are fit to drive and their eyesight is OK, its a missed opportunity to get them to have a medical and a eyesight test, though with the state the GP's are in the medical might be a problem.

Milzy

Guru
Could have killed somebody. I’ve always said elderly should be banned from the roads. I will always get flamed for it but I stand by it until I die. When she passed her test she’d have done about 2 lessons and the roads would have been simply laid out and empty of traffic.
Good result.

Last edited by a moderator:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
And rightly so.
You will feel completely different about it when you teach that age.

Not so sure. A periodic retest sounds far more sensible that a 'pass for life'.

I'm early 50s and in good health, but I'm well aware of a decline in eyesight and reaction speed.

I'd start retesting far sooner than 70.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Not so sure. A periodic retest sounds far more sensible that a 'pass for life'.

I'm early 50s and in good health, but I'm well aware of a decline in eyesight and reaction speed.

I'd start retesting far sooner than 70.

You didn't see milzys post I guess. Ive made it more clear in my reply. He's saying all those over 70 should be banned from the road.

C R

Guru
I personally wouldn't wait that long either, 10 years after you pass & then ever 10 until you reach retirement age, then every 5 years.

Far too many cars on the road being driven by people who do not have the required skill level.

In Spain there's a requirement to pass a "psichotechnical" test every 10 years. This includes sight, hearing and reaction time tests, as well as a personality type test from what I can remember. Failing that test will mean the licence can't be renewed. Of course, the problem is that there's nothing you can do to stop someone from driving even if their licence has been withdrawn.

Juliansou

Could have killed somebody. I’ve always said elderly should be banned from the roads. I will always get flamed for it but I stand by it until I die. When she passed her test she’d have done about 2 lessons and the roads would have been simply laid out and empty of traffic.
Good result.

I think a blanket ban is taking things too far. I don’t see any issues with a basic, but robust, health check at a specific age.

About 9 years ago I approached a roundabout and gave way to a vintage sports car to my right already on the roundabout having come of a dual carriageway at speed on to it (you know the type, near 100 years old and with large wheels on the outside, something in this vein). The driver behind me stopped too. Then a moment later they suddenly accelerated hard into my rear wheel. The first words from the driver who hit me was, "I saw you". They then went onto explain the thought the sports car was indicating to leave the roundabout and I would pull out. With the large wheels pointing into the roundabout and not off it, it was pretty obvious it wasn't. The driver that hit me, as you might suspect, was a elderly one. I actually felt sorry for her :-/

Top Bottom