Michelin Pro 4 Endurance Sidewall Thread Showing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iwantanewbike

Über Member
Only ridden these for about 150 miles since fitting them and the rubber is already coming away from the sidewall leaving the threads exposed!

Don't remember them being particularly expensive although they did sit unopened for a couple of years.

Are these dangerous to ride or is it just superficial? It would be a shame not to get another 10x mileage out of this pair at least.

I bought these after reading favourable

reviews about rolling resistance but maybe I should stick to Continental from now on?

Joffey

Big Dosser
Looks superficial to me

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Only ridden these for about 150 miles since fitting them and the rubber is already coming away from the sidewall leaving the threads exposed!

Don't remember them being particularly expensive although they did sit unopened for a couple of years.

Are these dangerous to ride or is it just superficial? It would be a shame not to get another 10x mileage out of this pair at least.

I bought these after reading favourable View attachment 520234

View attachment 520235

reviews about rolling resistance but maybe I should stick to Continental from now on?

Looks superficial however I’ve had sidewalls blow on Conti tyres !

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I switched to mitchelin (Kyrlions, then Endurance) for a while for that very reason. Continentals were getting too expensive; one time I had a front blowout going down the Dunning Dragon on just the 2nd ride on the tyre :sad:

You just reminded me of a sidewall blowout coming down Cleish ! Schwalbe Durano . New shorts required :-D

OP
OP
I

iwantanewbike

Über Member
Update: I've ridden these for a couple hundred miles more and there has been no deterioration. I'll keep checking before every ride though

houblon

Same happened to mine. I've been using Michelin's various predecessors to these for many years and never seen this before. It makes me a bit nervous...is it just cosmetic? Not pretty anyway. I might have to give up on my brand loyalty, shame as pro 3 have suited me well.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Could have been caught by stone chip etc at just the right angle ?, i personally wouldnt risk it .I have the pro rac3 3 service course and i have done lots of miles with no issues .

houblon

No, it's just like it's flaked off.
IMG_20210104_173015545.jpg
I'd just washed some road filth off it, it's like it's water-soluble. Does it have any protective quality, or is it just cosmetic?

And yes, I've used pro3 for years with no problems at all, and pro2 before that. I'm thinking I might stock up on pro3 if I can find any.

By the way, these are "service course", not "endurance" like the op.

houblon

There's more.

I didn't much fancy riding it again so I took it off the wheel. The sidewalls just crumbled into dust:
IMG_20210111_191501060.jpg
IMG_20210111_191516012.jpg

I've never seen anything like this. Is it a fake?

vickster

Legendary Member
I seem to remember reading that coloured tyres aren’t as durable as black ones.
Where did they come from? I’d be going back to the retailer (assume not a China ebay purchase or similar?)

houblon

I seem to remember reading that coloured tyres aren’t as durable as black ones.
Where did they come from? I’d be going back to the retailer (assume not a China ebay purchase or similar?)
It is an Ebay purchase, but from a Brit with 100% good feedback. The packaging looked legit (at the time, I didn't examine it closely and immediately binned it). I've asked him where he got it, reassuring him that I believe he sold it in good faith.

vickster

Legendary Member
It is an Ebay purchase, but from a Brit with 100% good feedback. The packaging looked legit (at the time, I didn't examine it closely and immediately binned it). I've asked him where he got it, reassuring him that I believe he sold it in good faith.
I’d still ask him for a refund. He can take it up with the place he bought them or Michelin.
Or you can just put it down to experience
I had the same tyres on an old bike and no issues, other than one being stolen along with the wheel it was attached to :cursing:

Top Bottom