Mileage for the Year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrben

tdr1nka said:
How the devil did we ever do without cycle computers?

Little analog odometers that worked with cogs and the like (I assume). My dad had one on his bike when I was a kid - a little spoke attachment knocked a cog attached to the axle/forks which had a little display much like the odo in a car.

Maz

Guru
Why have a cycle computer? Aren't they just dead weight?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Maz said:
Why have a cycle computer? Aren't they just dead weight?

So you can find out how fast you are really going ;). Then again if you can't carry the extra 30g (I have just weighed mine) you probably don't want to know just how slow you are:evil:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Looks like I'll do over 3000 miles by the end of the year - 2000 of which has been since the start of August - lost 13kg's doing that last 2000 miles.

I'm averaging about 400 miles a month, most of it commuting.

longers

Legendary Member
It'll be around 4000 miles in total. One bike is very accurated as it will be one year old next weekend and will have done 2,900 miles tomorrow. Another bike has an Aldi computer so only an educated guess at 1,000 miles and 300 miles or so on my second back up bike.

If I took the shortest commute my annual mileage would be 1248 miles.

I'm very pleased with that ;).

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
mrben said:
Little analog odometers that worked with cogs and the like (I assume). My dad had one on his bike when I was a kid - a little spoke attachment knocked a cog attached to the axle/forks which had a little display much like the odo in a car.

A pin on the spoke hit a cross shaped cog on the odometer! I remember them well.

T x

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I write on my handle bars with a chinagraph pencil, all the distances on the road signs to where I'm going and add them up at the end.
I had thought of having a spool of string that I can use to find my way home, then I'd just reel it in and measure for the total distance?

T x

ash68

around 10,500 miles so far this year. Hoping to get to 11000 by dec 31st but times running out too fast me thinks.with Christmas parties coming up etc my enthusiasm might start to wain a bit.;)

Plax

Guru
326 miles so far, after having started cycling at the very end of August. Only do a tad more than 8 miles a day though. My aim in the new year is to cycle to work 5 days a week for a month.

robjs

Since July 20 when I started cycling with a computer, I've done 3,120 kilometers, lost ~15KG, and had a lot of fun.

Isn't cycling awesome?

Brock

About 4000 miles this year.

mrben said:

I had a real speedo/odometer clock on my Raleigh Grifter. A red motorbike style needle and ace rubberised housing which worked via a cable that was spun by a little grappling hook that attached to the spokes by the hub. I think the cable got rather rusty and probably caused as much drag as the big soft knobbly tyres.

Tynan

Veteran
deedy, hovering just above, just below a rather exciting 15st after starting in June at 17st4lb

40in waist then, starting to eye up 36in trousers now, and some damn tasty muscles and physique as a bonus

Top Bottom